Using Vanilla Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
Any tips on using vanilla extract? The wife and I went to Mexico over christmas and she bought some vanilla extract. Supposedly, Mexican vanilla is pretty damn good. I've only ever used vanilla beans in my brews, never extract. How much would you use and when would you add it?

A little goes a long way. You can add it at bottling time, so you can add a little bit at a time and taste along the way.

I say make a fun experiment out of it. Add some, bottle a 6 pack. Add some more bottle another 6 pack, etc. Label everything along the way. Of course after all is said and done and you know which one is the amount you like the best there will be some math to translate that into an amount for a full batch.

Or just add, stir gently, taste until it is where you want if you want to do it the easy way.

I use 2 oz (1 bottle) of store bought extract in 5 gallons. Adjust to your taste.

Cheers!

TPH

I say make a fun experiment out of it. Add some, bottle a 6 pack. Add some more bottle another 6 pack, etc. Label everything along the way. Of course after all is said and done and you know which one is the amount you like the best there will be some math to translate that into an amount for a full batch.

That's a neat idea, I like it :mug:

I too use 2 oz for 5 gallons. I usually add it like a dry hop, with about 3-5 days left in fermenter. Last time I used it, I forgot and just dumped it in keg.

I definitely liked it better "dry hopped". Adding at kegging was both too strong, and too "fake", at least for me it was.

Almost everywhere I've read recommends using beans for beers. Maybe save the extract for some awesome chocolate chip cookies to go with your brew, I now have a major craving for cookies :D

Last edited:
Over the years I have added vanilla extract at Flame-out, into the Secondary, and into the Bottling Bucket. By far the best method in my opinion is to add to the Bottling Bucket. This yields the best flavor. I started by experimenting with small 1 gallon batches and then perfected a full batch.

I'd agree with a few posters above that using extract (really any flavor extract) results in a flavor that is best described as "fake". Especially with something like vanilla, it's easy enough to use 1-2 really nice beans for a week or so to get the character that you'd like that blends beautifully with the beer.

Any tips on using vanilla extract? The wife and I went to Mexico over christmas and she bought some vanilla extract. Supposedly, Mexican vanilla is pretty damn good. I've only ever used vanilla beans in my brews, never extract. How much would you use and when would you add it?

Do some research on what you have. Yes there is some very good extract from Mexico, but there is also lot of imitation crap sold to tourists. If it was super cheap, it probably is imitation.

Back