Using unmalted grain for brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krops13

Reaction score
Is it possible to use malted grain and unmalted in a mash. Would the enzymes in the malted grain convert the starches in the unmalted grain into sugars.

I don't believe they would, but I might be wrong. Any science majors listening?

Short version of a very long answer, in case no one more knowledgeable shows up:

Yes, it will work, but (1) cook the unmalted grain (boil in water) for at least 15 minutes to gelatinize the starches, and (2) don't go crazy with the ratio. It depends on the diastatic power of your base malt, but 10% unmalted stuff should be safe, maybe much more if you're using something with high diastatic power.

Ahhh, like the difference between Quick Oats and regular oatmeal, I get it now. A small conversion time and they are ready to go.

I make a beer with half malt, half homemade bread and I get fine conversion. I do use a bit of 6-row for it's higher enzyme levels to assist in the conversion.

(2) don't go crazy with the ratio. It depends on the diastatic power of your base malt, but 10% unmalted stuff should be safe, maybe much more if you're using something with high diastatic power.

You're fine going up to 50% unmalted grain as long as your malted grain has good diastatic power (2 row, 6 row, pilsener). Munich is sometimes used as a base malt but it doesn't have enough enzymes to mash much more than itself. Maris Otter has a decent amount of enzymes but I would add too much unmalted grain with it because it isn't as high as other base malts.

Here's a nice graph (y axis) of diastatic power of different base malts. I believe you need a mean of around 50-60 degrees Linter per pound of grain. So those on the top of the graph (120 Linter or above) could easily go 50% unmalted adjuncts. Those below less.

SNR_and_diastatic_power.gif

Latest posts

Back