Using TUMS Antacid for water modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
I cant believe I cant find anything on this in a search, but want to confirm I can use tums antacid's (crushed up) as a substitute for chalk/calcium carbonate, since that's what they are.

OK to use?

Thanks

as far as chemical composition, I'd say its probably ok. Isn't there flavoring in tums though? I can't imagine you want that in your beer. I'm sure there are other inactive ingredients like binding agents etc. I'd be absolutely sure the ONLY ingredient is calcium carbonate before you use it.

Well the only active ingredient is calcium carbonate, and yes they are flavored, but will that tiny amount of flavor come through? Especially in the stout I am making?

I agree you also have the binding agents, which are certainly inert, but may have an unknown effect on the fermentation or the yeast.

Why not just pick up some calcium carbonate? It's not all that expensive and if not at your LHBS, can be found at online shops.

I am going to stop at the LHBS here in a bit, I was just trying to cover my ass if they didnt have any :) Was just curious if it would work in a pinch. Will try to get some real stuf though, if they dont have any are there any other pharmaceutical uses for calcium carbonate that may be available with less additives/binders than tums?

I'd just go without it until you can get plain calcium carbonate. It is ideal to adjust your RA if brewing a stout, but it won't kill it if you don't use any.

I think your beer would stand to turn out much better by not worrying about the calcium carbonate if the only way you can supplement your water is with Tums. I think that flavor would indeed make it into your beer. I find that chewing mint gum even 30 minutes before drinking a beer makes it taste like crap. Kind of like toothpaste and orange juice. With Tums being mint flavored I would think the taste would destroy the flavor with even a small addition.

I used two regular tums in a winter spiced ale during the mash. In my case, the amount needed was significantly low and there's no noticeable effect. I had all the other needed minerals to adjust the water so I gave it a go.

Couldn't you just take a hammer and smash a piece of driveway gravel into powder? At worst it's dolomite limestone (CaMg(CO3)2) but it's more likely to be pure CaCO3.

You could also just crush up some egg shells, which are 95% CaCO3.

not to be an ass...but, are you SURE you need to add calcium carbonate to your mash?

i.e. you've looked at your water profile already and you're too soft for dark beers?

Back