Using Tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The short answer is it depends on the quality of your tap water. I would definitely filter out the chlorine. Its probably fine. I use mine for AG.

I'm VERY new at this but from what I have read you could boil the water beforehand to evaporate the chlorine and then let it cool off to whatever temp you need.

Anyone please chime in if I an incorrect on this! :mug:

Definitely depends on your water. I can't stand my tap water for drinking, so I buy bottled water for brewing. Provided you know the water chemistry and you don't mind the taste of it, you should be good to go provided you treat it to remove chlorine/chloramines.

Chlorine will boil off, I think it chloramine that is a little more stable and will stick around through a boil, that's where a carbon block filter is nice. I use an under sink filter from the hardware store...I think around $30-$40 and the filter cartridge is good for up to 6 months.

how does your water taste? my water here at my house tastes awful. i refuse to drink it. ever going through a filter it still is quite nasty.

My water taste good, what if there are chlororamines left over? affect taste? Yeast?

My water taste good, what if there are chlororamines left over? affect taste? Yeast?

The taste alone doesn't do a justice as some might say. My city water taste great and I drink from the tap all the time. When I started brewing I used tap water exclusivelly and my beers were lacking. I just couldn't point out what exactly, they were ok but not great, hops were kind of harsh for some styles. Then I started narrowing down the problem and got city water report, analyzed it and realized that my water high in carbonates (which you can't simply taste). I started using mix of RO (2/3) and tap water (1/3) and my beers improved dramatically! I suggest you get water report and go from there

Left over chlorine and chloramines lead to chlorophenols which produce a 'band-aid' like off flavor in the finished product.

Just use Campden Tablets. They will eliminate the Chloramines. I throw half a tablet in my water before brewing, no band-aid. No filtering needed.

I use my tap water all the time will no ill effects. I have decent water in my town tho.

Also, I can't find the source but I think you only need to get the water to ~180F for chlorine to start to evaporate. You don't need to fully boil.

My advice - just go ahead and brew up a batch or two with your tap water and see how it comes out. I'm using my tap water, which tastes perfectly fine for drinking, and my beers have come out great. Just give it a shot first and go from there.

Rev.

Ive been brewing for quite a bit using tap water and I dont notice any off flavors and I seen the report from my water co. and says it does contain chloromines

A little bit of Potassium Metabisulfite will get rid of the chloramine. I put it in when I am heating my strike and sparge water. I have gone to 1/2 RO and 1/2 tap. My beers seem to taste better. Of course everyone's water is different.

Back