Using T-58 in Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongonk

Reaction score
Hello,

I used T-58 for the first time Sunday. I did an all grain 3 gallon batch. The airlock started bubbeling after a few hours like crazy. Then after 30 or so hours it totally stopped. The is no krausen visible and no pressure on the airlock. I didn't take any readings. I ususally just wing it and it has worked for me. I tried gently kicking it around and nothing. Should I repitch some yeast? I tried raising the temperature to 75 and still nothing.

Thanks!

T-58 is a pretty agressive fermenter. i wouldn't be surprised if it's near FG already.

J.

Very True.

I just made a dunkelweizen with T-58 Monday night. It was going crazy all day Tuesday and now its puttered out. Its probably finishing those view points, so don't worry about that.

T-58, S-33, S-04 and Windsor are super fast.

You should be ok as long as you pitched enough yeast for your winter warmer. I assume its got a big SG.

Try Mr Malty to check your cell count.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

The only way to be sure that your fermentation is done it to take 2 gravity readings a couple of days apart. If they are the same it is usually done. The exception is a stalled fermentation, but that is another issue.

T-58, S-33, S-04 and Windsor are super fast.

I find T-58 to be fast, don't know about S-33. I find S-04 to be average and Windsor to be finicky. It is the only yeast I have used that stalled.

I used controlled temperature and it stopped. I took it out of my chamber and swirled to finish. It turned out very good but took 3 weeks.

I find T-58 to be fast, don't know about S-33. I find S-04 to be average and Windsor to be finicky. It is the only yeast I have used that stalled.

I used controlled temperature and it stopped. I took it out of my chamber and swirled to finish. It turned out very good but took 3 weeks.

Correct. I will restate - They start off fast have very active ferments for the first few days and then its slow or next to nothing. It still takes 3 weeks though. It needs to finish to terminal gravity and clear.

S-33 is fast like T-58 for the first 2-3 days. Rapid output of CO2 and very active fermentation.

Correct. I will restate - They start off fast have very active ferments for the first few days and then its slow or next to nothing. It still takes 3 weeks though. It needs to finish to terminal gravity and clear.

S-33 is fast like T-58 for the first 2-3 days. Rapid output of CO2 and very active fermentation.

I guess you also have to define fast. I was thinking of total fermentation. Some of mine have fermentation in a few hours and the krausen drops in a few days.

Others start more slowly and the krausen hangs around for a week or so.

I never do anything to my beers in less than 2 weeks so I don't know when they are totally finished.

This was my grain bill/fermentables/hops

5 lbs pale malt
4 lbs Vienna malt
1 lbs, 8 oz Crytal Malt 60
8 oz Dark Candi Sugar
1.25 oz Styrian Hops @ 60 min
0.30 oz Saaz Hops @ 60 min
1.35 oz Styrian Hops @ 15 min
3 oz ginger root @ 12 min
10 cloves @ 12 min
4 cinnamon sticks @ 12 min
1.25 oz orange peel @ 12 min
0.30 oz Saaz @ 5 min

I guess you also have to define fast. I was thinking of total fermentation. Some of mine have fermentation in a few hours and the krausen drops in a few days.

Others start more slowly and the krausen hangs around for a week or so.

I never do anything to my beers in less than 2 weeks so I don't know when they are totally finished.

I was thinking fast as overnight and its going Gonzo during breakfast the next morning. 2-3 bubbles a second like its a steady stream of CO2. Finishing to the FG and clearing needs the full allotted time. The good thing is, it takes what is a toehold and quickly establishes dominance in the wort.

Its telling Brett, Pedo, and Strep... "Respect my authoritah!!!"

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbebjUYItKw[/ame]

As others have said, T-58 is fast especially if the wort temp is 70 or warmer. If you pitched a full packet in 3 gallons then it's done. Don't pitch more yeast but definitely give it a week to 10 days more to let the yeast clean up and floc. T-58 takes FOREVER to fall out of suspension. When I use that yeast it gets a full 2 weeks in primary with a cold crash during the last few days to try and get clear beer.

Hello,

I used T-58 for the first time Sunday. I did an all grain 3 gallon batch. The airlock started bubbeling after a few hours like crazy. Then after 30 or so hours it totally stopped. The is no krausen visible and no pressure on the airlock. I didn't take any readings. I ususally just wing it and it has worked for me. I tried gently kicking it around and nothing. Should I repitch some yeast? I tried raising the temperature to 75 and still nothing.

Thanks!

It sounds to me like it's working just like it should. Give it some more time and at 10 to 15 days open the fermenter long enough to take a gravity sample and taste it when you have finished. Here's a short article that describes how ale yeasts work.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Back