Using sugar beet molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominic1920

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of using sugar beet molasses as a dextrose equivalent? It is used as a cattle feed additive in the US, while in Europe it is used in baking and sauces. It is similar to regular molasses except more honey like in appearance and a less harsh flavor than cane molasses. I read where it is used in Europe to produce a cheap rum substitute called Tuzemak.

I have used sugar cane molasses and Steens cane syrup with good results. Sugar beet molasses should be similar. I never substituted it for anything, I found recipes that called for it.

Try using some and please let us know if it sucks ass or turns out good.
You'll never know if you don't try.

Try using some and please let us know if it sucks ass or turns out good.
You'll never know if you don't try.

I will try it and let you know, I have a five gallon bucket of it. I'm a little leery about it though, I don't think it is anywhere near food grade. Human food that is. It appears clean and sanitary though.The guy at the feed store told me to add one cup to every five pounds of feed for my cows. I didn't tell him I was going to brew with it. It was cheap though, five gallons cost $4.50.

Adding early in the boil should kill anything in it. The impurities should make the beer darker.

I would be a little leery of it. Human-grade molasses is sulphured to keep it from getting infected -- this may have been treated with something else as an anti-microbial.

Does it even taste good? I read something about feed grade molasses being pretty awful, especially from beets. If you're determined to use it, I'd dilute some to 1.040, boil it briefly, taste it to see if it's vile, then pitch some cheap yeast (maybe part of a slurry!) and see if fermentation even takes off. This could help you determine if you want this stuff in a batch of beer.

I've made a molasses wine before using backstrap molasses 100% (i forget the name brand) and i presonally didn't like it but i had used a champagne yeast in it.
In a beer using something like so-4 would leave more flavor in the brew but one would have to carefully select a beer style that would work well with it. Perhaps a belgian style or porter would work and steer clear of it in a pale ale or anything intended to taste clean (lagers).....just my 2 cents though. experimentation in brewing can be a good thing.

I would be a little leery of it. Human-grade molasses is sulphured to keep it from getting infected -- this may have been treated with something else as an anti-microbial.

Does it even taste good? I read something about feed grade molasses being pretty awful, especially from beets. If you're determined to use it, I'd dilute some to 1.040, boil it briefly, taste it to see if it's vile, then pitch some cheap yeast (maybe part of a slurry!) and see if fermentation even takes off. This could help you determine if you want this stuff in a batch of beer.

I just tasted it. ooof! No, It does not taste good. Its bitter and leaves a vinegary after taste. I guess it tastes like you would think animal feed should taste. Its going into the neighbors goats feed.

Latest posts

Back