Using StarSan to stop fermentation??!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman101

Reaction score
howdy.
Reading around the internet on how to stop fermentation has shown a few posts that seem to indicate that people are putting StarSan IN their brew. Is this true or am I mis-reading this?

only way I know to "stop" fermentation is to cold crash to make the yeast go dormant. This doesn't stop fermentation it just delays it until it is warmed up again

Could do it easily with heat. But you probably won't like the results. One thing to heat pasteurize when bottling (say, to bottle condition a carbonated, sweetened cider, mead, or sour). Another to try and stop a primary fermentation.

Using Starsan to stop fermentation is IMHO and to my knowledge a highly stupid, probably even dangerous idea. In its concentrated form it is caustic acid. Diluted in water it is not strong enough to be caustic but it is still strong enough to kill microbes on contact. I may sanitize my hands in it but I am not sure if I'd want to drink it. If diluted even more then its safe to drink (to my knowledge coke has the same acid as flavor agent) but its no longer strong enough to kill microbes let alone stop fermentation, actually the yeast will happily consume it too so whats the point.

Starsan in it's diluted form will not harm you even if you drank it. It might give you acid indigestion. That mixed into a 5 gallon batch of wort is going to do nothing more than dilute the wort. It is not strong enough to do anything else.

I am also interested in why you would want to stop fermentation. If it is because you are at your FG and think it would go lower, I would just accept that, try to figure out why it would go lower and correct for the next batch. You are more likely to ruin the beer trying to stop it than if you let it finish.

only way I know to "stop" fermentation is to cold crash to make the yeast go dormant. This doesn't stop fermentation it just delays it until it is warmed up again

Cold crash and then use sulfates like potassium metabisulfate to kill the yeast. Basically, look at back sweeting wine and do the same process.

Then be confused when it won't bottle condition. ;)

You are more likely to ruin the beer trying to stop it than if you let it finish.

This is true.

use sulfates like potassium metabisulfate to kill the yeast
Neither sulfate nor sulfite kill brewers yeast.

Potassium sorbate to prevent fermentation after you remove the yeast? Perhaps.
But there's no logical reason to be trying to chemically stabilize beer. I think we all agree on that.

Reading around the internet on how to stop fermentation has shown a few posts that seem to indicate that people are putting StarSan IN their brew.
Can you link us to a few of those? Or quote the essence?

Perhaps they're referring to something entirely different. Like killing (wild) yeasts and bacteria in an empty and otherwise clean fermenter, and such.

Neither sulfate nor sulfite kill brewers yeast.

Potassium sorbate to prevent fermentation after you remove the yeast? Perhaps.
But there's no logical reason to be trying to chemically stabilize beer. I think we all agree on that.
You are, of course, correct. I mixed up potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. It retards the growth phase, it doesn't kill the yeast.

Last edited:
Starsan in it's diluted form will not harm you even if you drank it. It might give you acid indigestion. That mixed into a 5 gallon batch of wort is going to do nothing more than dilute the wort. It is not strong enough to do anything else.

Yes, but I was thinking that OP meant pouring in enough of the concentrated form of Starsan that it makes the beer so hostile that it kills the yeasts in middle of fermentation. I would not drink that.

Back