using spring water for topping off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I do partial mash, partial boil brews. I have always used gallon jugs of bottled water and I have never pre-boiled it to use for top off. I find that to be santitation overkill and many people agree. However, I am now fortunate enough to live very close to a wonderful spring. Hundreds of people fill thousands of recepticles full of water there everyday. I love the taste and the cost (free) of the water, but I am a little worried about using it as top off water without preboiling. I guess if it is safe to drink it is very unlikely to contaminate a beer. I would hate to have to start pre-boiling and then chilling my water. Such a pain in the ass.

What do you think?

One time I boiled some chicken for my cat (don't ask). The next day I made beer and used that same pot to boil and then chill my top off water. Water tasted like chicken. Chicken beer ftw.

I always top off with water out of the tap, but then again, I don't chill much, so it's pasteurized by the super hot wort. What's your chilling process? Do you have room to add top off water to your hot wort?

I think the best way to find out is to give it a go! Maybe try a 1 or 3 gallon batch to minimize loss if it goes bad. My guess is that it would work out just fine, but I don't have much experience with spring water. Another option would be to do a full volume wort boil (most agree this will also improve your beer) this would solve the sanitation issue, but you may have to spring for a new pot depending on your setup.

I get local spring water from White House Artisian Springs for 25c per gallon. I brew pb/pm biab with it,& have a couple gallons chilling in the fridge for top off as well. all jugs are clean & sanitized right before we head out to fill them.
Ao far,the water has made some great beers.
Here's their page that describes what they do with their spring water. Idk about yours,but this is a start; http://whitehousesprings.com/OurWater.php

Latest posts

Back