Using Soda Stream on Samples??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewKaiser

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has ever used their Soda Stream to force carb a small sample of beer. I have a Kolsch lagering for a month now in secondary carboy and was wondering if I could rack a small sample to the Soda Stream bottles and give it a quick fizz for a taste test.

I don't have an available keg to rack my batch to force carb and pull a test from. Otherwise, this would be the preferred way.

I know there's no way to control carb level, but I'm sure someone else on this forum has tried this before and seems like it would be a super simple way to get some CO2 in a small sample.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, I've actually thought of doing this but never wanted to buy the soda stream... As I don't drink pop and this would be my only reason for buying one.

Okay, you have my attention.
I don't really drink pop either but I do like carb'd water... and if this would work for sample beer... hmmmm.
Try it and let us know how it turns out.

We only use our SS for fizzy water. I was hoping to hear if anyone has tried this before before I spray beer all over my counter. I'll try to contain in the sink and will give it a go tonight.

Meantime, anyone with horror stories please chime in before I repeat.

Thanks for the link tmendick.

I was afraid of making a mess, but seems like some people have had some success.

I just ran out and bought the .5L Soda Stream bottles and will give it a go later, but in the garage sink just in case...

I've used a carbonator cap and a 20oz plastic soda bottle. If you already have a kegging setup and don't already have a sodastream, that's a much cheaper option for carbing beer or for other fizzy drinks.

I have a homemade carbonator cap for 12oz soda bottles, but the store bought carbonator cap works too. I use it for carbing samples just like you want to.

It worked!!! Definitely an easy way to carb up a sample, but there's no way to dial in carb volume and potential for a mess is there if not careful. I do think it helps to cool the beer first before carbonating and to pour it immediately. I have to say, I was surprised by how easy it was and how well it worked.

Couple of things.

1) I picked up .5L Soda Stream bottles instead of the 1L bottles we normally use. I did this so it would be easier to fill the bottle with the thief, and thinking less chance of a mess since a 1L bottle would require more CO2.

2) There is no way to dial in carbonation volumes, but foam in top of Soda Stream bottle is a good indicator.

My process was as follows:

1) Transfer beer from Carboy to .5L Soda Stream bottle using thief (standard sanitation methods apply)

Note: My beer was lagering at 36-38*. If at fermentation temps or warmer, I would add a few pumps of C02 into empty .5L bottle first, cap immediately, then transfer beer. Then place Soda Stream bottle with beer into refrigerator until cool before carbonating.

2) Insert bottle with beer in Soda Stream as you would normally do, but place the entire unit in the sink or 5 Gal bucket. I covered the whole thing with a dish cloth in case there was any over spray or explosive bottle upon extraction.

3) Over a 3-5 minute period add 1 pump of CO2 at a time. No more than 2 second pumps. Do this 3-4 times until sizable head forms in the bottle.

4) Carefully release bottle with towel over the unit.

5) Pour into glass. (Next time I will try capping and refrigerate to see how well it keeps carbonation.)

6) Rinse Soda Stream bottle with warm water, fill with warm water and insert back into Soda Stream unit and give it max pressure to clean out the Soda Stream needle and gasket mechanism.

The initial pour resulted in a good head. There were noticeable bubbles in the beer, though the carbonation volume was a little less than I prefer, but for tasting a sample it worked great and way better than the flat hyrdo samples I've pulled in the past. I guess through trial and error you can get it right. I did use a brand new canister. For those of you who already have a Soda Stream you know that as they run low you have to depress the Soda Stream mechanism for longer periods to achieve higher carb levels.

I'll post a few pics.

And oh, I forgot, on this batch I was rushed on brew day and accidentally milled a pound of honey malt instead of 1/4 lbs. So while I was intending to make a Kolsch, I guess I wound up with a honey ale. Still tastes pretty damn good and I can't wait to get it in the keg and on CO2 in another month.

Flat beer at 38* inserted into Soda Stream. Using .5L bottle.

IMG_2757.jpg

I've definitely done it before.
As you saw, it works! I'd love to know the set point of the blow off valve in the sodastream. I bet it's pretty high as it's aimed for soda which has a higher carb than beer.
Colder works better, but I've even used it for warm beer at racking (!) and bottling. It's perfect for that last half bottle that won't fill a bottle.

I do it all the time with my hydrometer samples. I follow the same steps as you pretty much. I find I can get more carbonation with the beer level below the needle, more room for the foam to rise without the mess I guess. I pump it until it buzzes then let it sit connected for about 5 minutes under pressure.

I have tried closing it up and putting it in the fridge but it does not work. Comes out flat every time. Once you remove the bottle from the carbonator the pressure equalizes and putting the cap on and then in the fridge I think makes the co2 gas left in the headspace shrink and create negative pressure, pulling what co2 there is in solution out.

I've used a carbonator cap and a 20oz plastic soda bottle. If you already have a kegging setup and don't already have a sodastream, that's a much cheaper option for carbing beer or for other fizzy drinks.

How long does it take to carb with the cap?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back