using single saflager sachet for 22l wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matteroftaste

Reaction score
hi all,
so a long term ale brewer with a seasonally cool garage bought a saflager sachet.

heres my issue, one sachet is underpitching (im aiming for 1.048 wort) so a starter is the way to go. now i know that the best approach would be to pitch more dry yeast, but i want to do it the hard way, so...

would it be fine to do a multiple step stater to get to the proper pitch rate? expert say that making staters from dry yeast depletes nitrogen reserves blah blah blah, but i figure its got to be healthier than harvested yeast from a bottle. so i want to do it.

so to cut to the chase; should i keep the stater at cooler tempuratures or will the yeast behave and not mutuate at warmer temps?

(gonna try to do a dark lager, love that stuff)

How about doing a small 2 gallon batch, you get your starter and 16 pints to enjoy? Just spitballin ideas.

thats a safe plan and i like the thinking but i have to go big, i'm a thirsty boy, and so are my friends. And if it works i'll be all the prouder.

It's fine to make lager starters at higher temps than lager temps. (Room temps are fine). You're not making beer. You're growing yeast. But if it were me I'd use more dry yeast (and I'm not a fan of s23, .buy that's another matter).

hi all,
so a long term ale brewer with a seasonally cool garage bought a saflager sachet.

heres my issue, one sachet is underpitching (im aiming for 1.048 wort) so a starter is the way to go. now i know that the best approach would be to pitch more dry yeast, but i want to do it the hard way, so...

would it be fine to do a multiple step stater to get to the proper pitch rate? expert say that making staters from dry yeast depletes nitrogen reserves blah blah blah, but i figure its got to be healthier than harvested yeast from a bottle. so i want to do it.

so to cut to the chase; should i keep the stater at cooler tempuratures or will the yeast behave and not mutuate at warmer temps?

(gonna try to do a dark lager, love that stuff)

Best to just do things properly rather than trying to cut corners, especially if you don't regularly make lagers.

Back