Using silicone for keg lines - avoiding plastic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_g08

Reaction score
So in this forum post (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=60380) much was discussed about various different options for keg lines, to avoid the plastic taste. I am curious: has anyone used silicone (braided or unreinforced) for keg lines? I currently use a picnic tap and a few feet of line, so it wouldn't be a big investment. I am assuming silicone would have no flavor impact, but I wanted to poll the collective first.

By the way, Brewers Hardware has 1/4" ID silicone in braided for $5/ft and unreinforced for $1.85/ft. I think the nonreinforced can handle low pressure, by the specs, but I don't know if it would work for sure.

I'm sure silicone would be fine as long as the pressure was kept within reason. However, 1/4" ID will give you problems with foaming; 3/6" ID is what you should be using. Rather than silicone, use a high end beverage grade line such as Accuflex Bev Seal, which has protective barrier inside the line to prevent any plastic taste from leaching. I've been using it for years with no issues.

Plastic taste in your beer is most likely not related to the use of vinyl lines. There is a much more common cause and a solution that costs ~$0.01 per 5 gallons of packaged beer.

I use vinyl lines. While not as good as the types listed earlier (silver containing bevflex) they should not impart a flavor. In my experience this is true.

Interesting. For the record, I haven't experienced "plastic taste" ever to my knowledge, but then again, I dump off 2 oz or so when the line has been idle for a while, just in case.

Gavin, are you making reference to Campden for removal of chlorine/chloramine and the associated phenolic flavor compounds? .

I've just upgraded my lines from standard vinyl to https://www.morebeer.com/products/ultra-barrier-silver-antimicrobial-pvc-free-beer-tubing-316-id-foot.html

First one or two oz every day is terribly off flavor, plastically, I don't know, just bad flavor, can't even finish the 2 oz. I'm convinced that some people are just not sensitive to it. I happen to be, my GF happens to be.

I thought it was O2 but changed to front seal Perlick taps without any relief (I'm still glad I did that). Changed the lines ... magic ..... completely gone. Do yourself a favor, try a better line, it's $10. You may not be sensitive to it, but your guests may be.

Some are more sensitive to phenolic / vinyl off flavor from tubing vs others as far as I can tell. I used vinyl line when I first started kegging and detected the off flavor. My friends told me I was nuts and it was great beer... but I could tell something was off.

I personally have been using accu-flex bev seal tubing from bird man brewing for the last 2yrs with zero plastic off flavors. Could also be that I am more clean and sanitary vs when I first started.. but I do like the push connect fittings and ez cleaning ability of the bev flex tubing. You will (ideally) need 2 john guest adapters to use it however. http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/accuflex-bev-seal-ultra-barrier-tubing-3-16-id-50ft-free-shipping/

Hey, thanks for the info. I think I'll use one of those products when I move up to a more serious kegerator.

I personally have been using accu-flex bev seal tubing from bird man brewing for the last 2yrs with zero plastic off flavors. Could also be that I am more clean and sanitary vs when I first started.. but I do like the push connect fittings and ez cleaning ability of the bev flex tubing. You will (ideally) need 2 john guest adapters to use it however. http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/accuflex-bev-seal-ultra-barrier-tubing-3-16-id-50ft-free-shipping/

I've been using the same for a couple of years. This is the best line IMO. You need about twice as much line than with vinyl, but it's worth it to me.

Every other line I tried I could taste plastic. Even with the silver barrier line, although not as pronounced.

Yeah well 39.99 for 100ft SHIPPED is a great price from them if anyone is interested . Very happy with it. Im still on the original box I bought ha.

Back