Using Rye in extract brew- color impact

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelbrew38

Reaction score
I'll start off with the fact I'm a newbie extract brewer. I have a bit of an obsession with a local beer in MA I'm attempting to clone via an extract recipe: Mayflower Brewery's (MA) Summer Rye Ale. The beer is the lightest colored beer I've ever seen with a very crisp, dry, spicy flavor...the pale yellow color is my obsession, almost lemonade-like. Anyways as per their website the malts are comprised of pilsner and wheat but as the brew's name suggests it is also rye which is perplexing me because to me it would darken the color and its the furthest from dark. I can't figure out how to obtain similar a lemonade like pale yellow color while introducing rye into the recipe for its spicy flavoring. From what I've researched it seems that rye added as a liquid malt extract ingredient (Mallaird's @ 6 Lovi) would darken the beer well beyond its extremely pale yellow color and that steeping rye malt for flavoring would also darken it. I could definitely the LME late into the boil to decrease darkening impact but still think it would darken way beyond the pale lemonade-like color I'm trying to achieve.

Any suggestions from more experienced folks on how I can incorporate the rye flavoring without darkening the color? In the end its about the flavor but I must admit I'm obsessed with achieving this very odd lemonade-like pale yellow color.
Here is what I've come up with so far for a recipe on Beersmith that I don't think will achieve the desired color...any suggestions or enlightenment is greatly appreciated!:

Amt & Name
2 lbs 12.0 oz Briess Dried Malt Extract- Pilsen (2.5 SRM)
0.75 oz Cascade Hops [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1 lbs 8.0 oz Briess Bavarian Wheat DME [Boil for 15 min](2.0 SRM)
12.8 oz Maillard Rye Malt Extract Syrup [Boil for 15 min](6.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Liberty Hops [4.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.0 pkg SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T-58)

Since extracts are usually darker than using grain it might be impossible to get it as light in color as the commercial version which would be all grain.

I would try boiling with half the pilsen and half the wheat DME to get the proper bitterness with the hops. Then add all the rest of the extract at flame out to keep it as light as you can.

Back