Using RO/DI Water for All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNut24

Reaction score
Living rural, I have well water at home. I've only brewed extract kits so far and have bought spring water to brew with. My water tastes fine to me but I am thinking about switching to All-Grain and don't like the thought of buying spring water at $.88 a gallon. I have a RO/DI filter system I am thinking of using for brew water. Do you think the RO/DI filter would take out too many of the required minerals or not? Thanks.

Don

Living rural, I have well water at home. I've only brewed extract kits so far and have bought spring water to brew with. My water tastes fine to me but I am thinking about switching to All-Grain and don't like the thought of buying spring water at $.88 a gallon. I have a RO/DI filter system I am thinking of using for brew water. Do you think the RO/DI filter would take out too many of the required minerals or not? Thanks.

Don

RO is ideal! Then you can just add a bit of calcium chloride to get your minerals back and you're all set. Check out the water chemistry primer (it's a sticky) in the Brew Science forum for details and specifics.

My suggestion is to use just the RO filter. But get your water tested at Ward Labs.

I typically use a 50/50 mixture of RO water and tap water but I get city water. Adding 50% RO water knocks down the bad stuff in the water then I add back gypsum and calcium chloride to the mash in varying amounts according to style.

EZ water calculator can help you there.

Add salts to the mash when you want calcium to be available or need to control pH
Add salts to the boil for flavor impact.
Calcium Chloride is most neutral.
Calcium Sulfate can enhance hoppyness but can add dryness.
Calcium Carbonate>Avoid unless you need to increase pH.
Chloride to sulfate ratio: For hoppy beers, favor sulfate. Malty beers, favor chloride

I just use the well water. Plenty of nutrients/minerals in the water not all filtered out. Just had a sample of my all grain batch and it tastes great. No adding calcium chloride, no RO just a 2 micron paper filter.

Tho I did have mine tested and it just happens to fall inline with brewing pretty dam close. Don't sell well water short you may be surprised.

Come to think of it, I think Hopmonster is right. If your extract beer has been fine, why are you planning to use spring water for all-grain?

I would get your water tested to first determine if you even want to use RO water. And IMHO, I'm sure there are alot of brewers who use what ever water they have coming out of the tap.

Back