Using real Bananas in Secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did DB's Dunkel (AKA Banana Bread Ale). Iam not certain that I got the Banana flavor I hoped for so I am going to add Banana's to the Secondary with a Vanilla Bean or two. I am planning on using real Bananas. I am going to sanitize them in Star SAn or blanching them by boiling them for a minute or two. I am thinking #3/5g. Has any one ever done this? I am thinking as long as the Banana's are ripe they should be good to go. I am thinking that they should not be too ripe ( as in brown and spotty).

All thoughts are appreciated.

It would probably be best to cut them up and dunk them in vodka for a day or so, then add the entire mixture to the carboy. Boiling them will affect the taste, and I'd worry about them affecting the chemistry of the starsan.

It would probably be best to cut them up and dunk them in vodka for a day or so, then add the entire mixture to the carboy. Boiling them will affect the taste, and I'd worry about them affecting the chemistry of the starsan.

what about steaming them for a few min? Here is what I saw on another forum.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27560&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p300174

OK i've just racked the stout onto the bananas. Here's what i did:

Chopped the bananas into slices and put them in a big pan
Added 1/2 a teaspoon of sodium metabisulphate and about 1.5 litres of water
Brought this to the boil, turned the heat down low, put the lid on and let it simmer for 20 minutes

The bananas were pretty soft, but had not turned completely to mush.

Isn't sodium metabisulphate similar to Star San?

ya think the alcohol is enough to kill any nasties?

Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking. > 2% is considered to be enough. Furthermore, I've been told that the beer/yeast easily breaks down the tough skins of most fruits, so bananas shouldn't me much of a challenge.

And I wouldn't boil them for sure. I think this has the possibility of changing the nature of the banana.

There's a weird "beer" from Africa that uses millet and bananas with a yeast that simultaneously does the starch-to-sugar-conversion and fermentation at the same time. I bring this up because I am fond of dropping bits into conversations that are sort of related, but not really. Carry on.

If it were me I'd just peel and drop in secondary.

+1. Amen to that. The inside of the banana isn't mating grounds for bacteria until the peel has been compromised. As long as it goes from peel to secondary there should be no problems. As far as steaming them and squirting star san on them. Im afraid that is going to throw a little unwanted flava into the mix. IMO. Let us know how it turns out.

+1. Amen to that. The inside of the banana isn't mating grounds for bacteria until the peel has been compromised. As long as it goes from peel to secondary there should be no problems. As far as steaming them and squirting star san on them. Im afraid that is going to throw a little unwanted flava into the mix. IMO. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah that is what i am going to do. Makes good sense to me. They will get some star san on them in the carboy. so I am RDWHAHB with an Isolation Ale.

Banana's have a very very faint flavor, I know this from making a gallon of banana wine. If you decide to add them (and don't have any campden tablets to let them sit in for a day), I'd suggest adding quite a few to have any noticeable difference along with possibly a bit of nutmeg. It's also better to puree them if you want to get the flavors out. The best results are better when you cut up and add a few banana peals, but I would only do that if you have campden tablets to kill the bacteria and let them sit for 24 hours. I wouldn't suggest boiling because boiling takes some of the flavor out of the banana w/o the peal and the peal itself if you decide to boil/use that as well. If you're thinking of using the water that came from boiling them, the water will be hazy because that is the effect that boiling fruit has (which may show in the beer).

Banana's have a very very faint flavor, I know this from making a gallon of banana wine. If you decide to add them (and don't have any campden tablets to let them sit in for a day), I'd suggest adding quite a few to have any noticeable difference along with possibly a bit of nutmeg. It's also better to puree them if you want to get the flavors out. The best results are better when you cut up and add a few banana peals, but I would only do that if you have campden tablets to kill the bacteria and let them sit for 24 hours. I wouldn't suggest boiling because boiling takes some of the flavor out of the banana w/o the peal and the peal itself if you decide to boil/use that as well. If you're thinking of using the water that came from boiling them, the water will be hazy because that is the effect that boiling fruit has (which may show in the beer).

Well they are in there now and it is happily bubbling away. I do not sanitize them. Well I sanitized the knife i used as well as the plate and there was residual star san bubbles in the carboy. I am going to RDWHAHB and see how it goes. I have a ton of grain. So this is purely experimental.

So adding real bananas to the secondary proved to be a success after all. I cracked one open last night and SWMBO and I tried it. The Banana is definitely there but not overpowering at all. it is very subtle. SWMBO equates the back and after taste to that of Banana Bread. so I am going to call this a WIN!!!. Many thanks to Deathbrewers Dunkel for the inspiration for this Brew. I will post a pic tonight

zman,

I am thinking of brewing DB Dunkel and then adding bananas like you did.

I see you how you prepared the bananas but how many did you use?

Thanks

So adding real bananas to the secondary proved to be a success after all. I cracked one open last night and SWMBO and I tried it. The Banana is definitely there but not overpowering at all. it is very subtle. SWMBO equates the back and after taste to that of Banana Bread. so I am going to call this a WIN!!!. Many thanks to Deathbrewers Dunkel for the inspiration for this Brew. I will post a pic tonight

Just brewed Deathbrewers Dunkel. Soon i will be adding to secondary How long did you leave the bananas in the secondary..2 weeks?

I used 5lbs and am thinking of bumping it to 7. I may also puree them this time. I am either doing it this weekend after the pumpkin ale or next weekend

I couldn't imagine a favorable outcome as the banana will float and oxidize into something presumably unappealing. Usually the bananas are added to the boil, and subsequent straining of the solids is involved.
Apparently I was wrong :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I couldn't imagine a favorable outcome as the banana will float and oxidize into something presumably unappealing. Usually the bananas are added to the boil, and subsequent straining of the solids is involved.
Apparently I was wrong :)

Cheers!
Float to the top? Yes

Oxidize? not so much I would think... if you are truly not out of secondary yet, there SHOULD be a layer of CO2 on the surface I would think that protects the whole lot from oxidizing.

Back