Using rauch malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THart

Reaction score
I can't find reference in search to loss of smokiness during fermentation but it seems to happen to me. I've tried this several times & the fresh wort seems smoky enough but the final beer seems to have lost the desired smokiness. Could the co2 be "scrubbing" off the smokiness? I'm just doing extract brewing with steeping grains so what I was thinking of trying was to steep a bit (4 oz) of rauch malt, remove & boil for 10 or 15 minutes then add it to the secondary. Any drawbacks to this that I haven't considered? Seems like it would be safe enough & I could find out if my smokiness is blowing off during primary fermentation.

the smokey flavor will diminish over time. My last smoked porter the Rauch malt was 40% of the entire grain bill. I think you need more than 4 oz in a 5 gallon batch to get any lasting flavor. But I have only done 2 smoked porters .

I wouldn't steep rauchmalt, anyway - it's a base grain, and ought to be mashed to get the most out of it. What's your procedure for making a smoked beer now? That's one of the styles that I think works best as AG or at least PM.

Holy ****, that's a lot. I've only tried 1/2 to 1 lb before which always seemed to make for a noticeably smokey wort but never translated to a very smokey finished beer for some reason. In this case I'm not really shooting for a smoke beer just a little nuance in an olde ale. I still wonder if active fermentation carrys off a lot of the smokiness.I think I'll try adding to the secondary to see what happens.

Depending on the beer, you need quite a bit. I believe I used 60% in my last smoked porter. It had a very nice smoky flavor.

Remember, many classic rauchbier recipes don't have ANY malt other than rauchmalt. I'll typically use 5 pounds or so in a smoked porter/stout, and it's just about right (IMHO). I've got to believe that fermentation will have an impact, but there's not much you can do about that other than start with more rauchmalt. That "rauch-tea" that you're thinking about adding may re-start fermentation (if you've gotten conversion), which may further scrub the aromatics. If you get zero conversion, you're just diluting your beer with smokey starch water. It's not the same as steeping a crystal malt, where you're pulling out tasty sugars that are already present in the grain.

Best thing to do, IMHO; learn to do a proper partial mash (it's easy), then try the recipe using 2 or 3 pounds of rauchmalt (in place of some of the DME). You may ultimately want to go with even more, but even for just a background note, a couple pounds is probably the minimum.

I just did a rauchbier with 97% smoked malt and it is not even as smokey as the traditional german rauchbiers. I think that the smokemalt we get imported has sometimes diminished in potency a little by the time we get it. It is a very good beer but not overpowering at all like you would think.

Yes, next time I want to try a smoke beer I'll definately have to do a partial mash.

5lbs of weyermann rauch in a 5 gallon batch of porter. Judges tasted and smelled NO smoke after only 3 months in the keg. I'd say it goes away pretty quick. I think it's imperative to bottle condition smoked beers.

I wouldn't steep rauchmalt, anyway - it's a base grain, and ought to be mashed to get the most out of it. What's your procedure for making a smoked beer now? That's one of the styles that I think works best as AG or at least PM.

THIS

I use it at 97+ percent in a Rauchbier and no less than half in anyting else.

Bobby

I have bottles of a Rauchbier I made over a year ago and its still plenty smokey.

Lots of Weyermann can vary quite a bit in the amount of smoke that they will impart.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's like the smoke molecules escape into the headspace of the keg and never get carried into the beer as it leaves through the diptube. I think bottling keeps it proportionally captured and every pour is smoky.

I'm still thinking the most likely cause of your unfortunate judging incident was that you were last in their flight.

I can't see how the physics would hurt the aromatics once fermentation is complete. During fermentation, sure, the aromatic compounds get attached to the CO2 being formed and exit through the airlock. How's that happening in the keg, though? There's more airspace, but the beer isn't churning in the keg like it is in primary. Bubbles aren't being released into the headspace.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's like the smoke molecules escape into the headspace of the keg and never get carried into the beer as it leaves through the diptube. I think bottling keeps it proportionally captured and every pour is smoky.

Mine wasnt bottle conditioned though, just bottled from the keg.

Could be similar to hoppy beers that seem to lose a little if they are kegged too long.
I have 12 gallons in a fermenter now.
I'll bottle some up when the first keg goes on tap and when the first keg kicks I'll compare that one to the "fresh" keg.

I think the quality of smoke varies in the malt if the bags arent sealed up tight. Have you tried that cherry wood smoked malt? Its much stronger than rauch malt but not harsh like peat malt. Use maybe 1-3lbs and get good smoke flavor. Have tried some porters with it and they came out good. The bags actually have a foil lining to seal in the freshness from the maltster.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shopping...Smoked-Malt-(Cherry-Wood)-(by-the-pound).html

Latest posts

Back