Using pipe sealant for mash tun fittings - safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Been having some trouble getting the fittings to seal up on my cooler to mash tun conversion, just using thread tape so far.

I have some Loctite 567 PST that Loctite literature shows to be NSF 61 certified/compliant. Think it's safe to use for mash tun fittings?

My initial impression would be that Loctite is not safe for your wort. Look on the website and see if it is food safe. If it isn't then I wouldn't use it. I had the same problem a few weeks ago and wrapped my fittings with more teflon tape and that worked great, no leaks.

Good luck

It's this one, but I ordered the optional 2nd nut and some larger gaskets they recommended for a large hole. My cooler has a 1" hole for the original drain.

I have another leak test going right now, still with tape, but since the cooler wall is thick where the bulkhead goes through, I think it may be that I was just squishing the walls too much and not leaking in the threads. I've added a ferrule/spacer over the nipple that fits into the hole in the cooler so it will allow me to tighten some, but not deform the walls of the cooler too much. May have to experiment with the length of the ferrule a bit to get the right balance of crush on the inner gasket and tightening.

premlong-500x500.jpg

Well, that didn't work either. But, I have it sealed now. Four hours and zero leakage with a completely full of hot water 50-quart cooler.

And, in current state there is zero Teflon tape on the inside (although I'll probably put some on to prevent the stainless parts from galling) and no liquid sealant anywhere.

Milling around the plumbing isle at the local fleet & farm type place, I found a female pipe to CPVC adapter. This adapter has a gasket and slight inverted cone shape inside that seals against the end of the pipe nipple. That, and putting a gasket between the SS nut and the CPVC adapter was the ticket to a leak-free assembly with NO tape or liquid pipe sealant on the inside.

Slide1.jpg

If thread tape isn't working, it's probably not the threads that are causing the leaks. Post more about the bulkhead design, pics, etc.

Agree with Bobby.
Stop and evaluate your fittings, and bulkhead.Brewing beer is not worth you safety and we'll being. Do more research,maybe try another mash tun set up. No chemicals or sealants should be used. Brewing is not rocket science.

As noted in my previous post it has been sealed and there is NO teflon tape inside nor any liquid/pipe dope sealant anywhere in the assembly. All internal sealing is done only with gaskets.

There are a few wraps of Teflon tape on the external bit of the nipple for sealing the ball valve connection.

It's this one, but I ordered the optional 2nd nut and some larger gaskets they recommended for a large hole. My cooler has a 1" hole for the original drain.

I have another leak test going right now, still with tape, but since the cooler wall is thick where the bulkhead goes through, I think it may be that I was just squishing the walls too much and not leaking in the threads. I've added a ferrule/spacer over the nipple that fits into the hole in the cooler so it will allow me to tighten some, but not deform the walls of the cooler too much. May have to experiment with the length of the ferrule a bit to get the right balance of crush on the inner gasket and tightening.

The bulkhead fitting in the photo appears to have a steel washer at the base of the threads. Is this washer part of the fitting? or is it a separate piece? If it is a loose washer, there really is nothing to make this fitting seal. If welded or machined integral, the nylon washer (rubber would be better) should be against it, and on the inside of the mash tun. A nylon washer is a very poor choice of seals here. They are fairly hard, and are being used against a material of about the same hardness. An o-ring, or even a hose washer would be a better choice.

H.W.

As mentioned in my previous two posts, the mash tun is sealed, using the arrangement in the picture showing the interior of the cooler, with no tape nor any pipe dope. Gaskets only on the inside for sealing. Fwiw, the gasket in the picturemis silicone, not nylon.

Back