Using PET root beer bottles for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bel_Pirishti

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using some PET 20oz. root beer bottles to bottle my first cider. The bottles are brown and light weight, which is important since I plan to ship some full ones across the country to a family member (if the batch turns out). The problem I'm having is getting the root beer smell out of the bottles. I filled them with a weak bleach-water mixture and let them sit for a day. But after extensive rinsing, the bottles still smell like root beer. I've also sanitized them with Star San. And yet the odor remains. Is this lingering smell going to affect my cider's flavor? Should I ditch the PET? Anyone have experience with this?

I'm thinking about using some PET 20oz. root beer bottles to bottle my first cider. The bottles are brown and light weight, which is important since I plan to ship some full ones across the country to a family member (if the batch turns out). The problem I'm having is getting the root beer smell out of the bottles. I filled them with a weak bleach-water mixture and let them sit for a day. But after extensive rinsing, the bottles still smell like root beer. I've also sanitized them with Star San. And yet the odor remains. Is this lingering smell going to affect my cider's flavor? Should I ditch the PET? Anyone have experience with this?
Your idea to use PET bottles is a good one, but I've found that the Root Beer odor is almost impossible to get rid of. You may want to consider another PET soda bottle that won't be as offensive or obvious (Sprite, Ginger-ale, Club Soda, etc.) Ed
Ed

Thanks for the quick reply. So the smell will affect the taste? I'll have to keep my eye out for another tinted bottle.

Thanks for the quick reply. So the smell will affect the taste? I'll have to keep my eye out for another tinted bottle.
Will the smell affect the taste? I think it has a perception impact, even though the cider might not actually have a root beerish taste. The odor is unmistakable and unless the person really likes root beer, they'll perceive it has a hint of that flavor. I'd agree that going for a "less tinted" (or should you say "less tainted" bottle would be the better approach. Good luck to you! Ed
:mug:

Thank you for your input. I think I've decided to find another bottling option. Cheers!

Back