Using peppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeySam

Reaction score
I've been conscripted to making a "mexican themed" beer for a party at the end of January. I'm thinking about doing a smoked pepper porter.

I've got the "smoked" part down, and the "porter" part down, but I've never added peppers to a beer before. I generally hate the idea. But I think pepper flavor would be great. I need advice regarding 1) how much to add for a 5 gallon batch, 2) how to add them (Mash/Boil/secondary) 3) what style of pepper would you suggest?

I do not want there to be a lot of heat to this. I'm looking for a crowd pleaser.

thanks for suggestions!

I've done 1 pepper beer and it turned out great. I did a Habanero IPA with Cirtusy hops. I really liked it.

I've had pepper beers before that ranged from interesting to awful. I think in general I like a mild pepper flavor and low to medium heat.

IMO jalapenos are often too flavorful for the amount of heat you get (if you strip the seeds and veins). And I'm not a fan of the flavor in general in my beer. That's why I went with habaneros. Much more heat and much less flavor.

If you want a bit of the Jalapeno flavor, I'd recommend backing it up with a bit of habanero or other hot pepper for additional heat. Or if you don't want the heat, just use as much jalapeno as you need to get the flavor level you are looking for.

In my case 3-6 GRAMS of habanero was used in secondary and it was perfect for very subtle flavor and a nice warming in the back for the finish. Someone else might chime in to offer advice on how much jalapenos they recommend.

Chipotles? I've yet to try it but I love making my jalapeño blondes.

I do go for a fair bit of heat (I eat them raw), but not so much that others cannot drink plenty with me.

A fellow on this forum helped me work up my original recipe which was to be a cream ale, but I bastardized it in essence. Still good though.

What I've been doing is taking half of the peppers and roasting them at 350* for 30 mins. Slice them lengthwise very thin and place them in a ziplock bag and set in the freezer until brew day. These are tossed in the boil around the 10-15 min mark.

The other peppers I've left raw and sliced in the same manner and placed in a plastic container that I pour vodka over until covered. Let this sit for a couple of weeks or more and use as a "dry pepper" for 7 days.

I've worked up to 8 jalapeños for 5.5 gals. I'd suggest maybe 5 or 6. I use everything from them too except the stems.

I'm actually considering doing a tedious test series in which I'll make 1.75 gal batches where all of the peppers are roasted and used in the boil vs raw and in the boil. I'll mash it all together and split it for the boil. Then next go around I'll do the same for soaking them in vodka and using them as a "dry pepper" only to see what gives me what.

About 7 jalapenos in 5 gallons will give a mild spice and big jalapeno flavor using the following method:

1) Brew the beer as normal, saving the peppers for bottling/kegging day.

2) Day before or morning of bottling/kegging, chop all the peppers, seeds and all, and place in a microwavable container.

3) Add vodka or tequila until just covered.

4) Microwave for like 30 seconds until it begins to warm up but not boil.

5) Allow to soak for at least 5 hours or overnight.

6) Add just the liquid portion to the beer a little at a time. Start with about 1/3 of the liquid. Mix well and taste. If you need more, add a little more. You often won't need to use the entire amount to get what you want. If you add it all, it could be very spicy and highly flavored. Leave all the solids behind -- pour the liquid carefully.

This is how I make my award-winning jalapeno porter. Won 2nd Best of Show, medals, etc.

Back