Using only primary cause bottled brew to condition faster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmanbrew

Reaction score
As a noob I am learning and figuring things that go right or wrong during brewing. I keep my journals to compare different processes. So, I have now bottled 2 extract kits. The first batch (Irish Red)I did a secondary rack. I kept in primary 9 days, secondary 12 and then bottled. It's been bottled for a little over 3 weeks now. Had a couple last weekend. Really good taste, decent carbs but the not much of a head. The head tends to fall back into the beer relatively quick. But I know the homebrew is getting there. Now, the second batch (nut brown) I only used primary, kept in primary for 3 weeks and then bottled. I opened a test beer at the 10 day mark. Wow! What a difference. It had good carbs, decent head. I was amazed! Conditioning temps for both batches remained about the same...mid to high 60's. My question is that does just using primary and letting the brew sit on the yeast cake for 3 weeks cause a big difference like that? My first batch at 10 days had few bubbles and no head at all. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

head is more dependent on ingredients...for instance crystal, or cara- grains, wheat, barley...they all give better head based on their protein structure.

BUT, leaving your beer on the yeast cake for around 14-21 days will give the yeast time to eat up any off-flavors...basically clean up after the messy fermentation to make a cleaner tasting beer :tank:

I wouldn't think that it is solely from leaving it in the primary. Some beers just carbonate quicker than others. After 3 weeks your 1st beer might just still need more time despite the fact that your second batch was good at 10 days.

I have started to realize that there are few hard rules about brewing, especially when it comes to anything having to do with the yeast. For just your first two brews, I would personally attribute it to something else rather than just the long primary no secondary.

I think head retention is caused by certain proteins or something in the beer (probably wrong on that), but it is more than just the carbon dioxide being in the beer that makes it linger. Probably just minor adjustments that took place that can or should be attributed to your second beer being superior

heferly said:
head is more dependent on ingredients...for instance crystal, or cara- grains, wheat, barley...they all give better head based on their protein structure.

BUT, leaving your beer on the yeast cake for around 14-21 days will give the yeast time to eat up any off-flavors...basically clean up after the messy fermentation to make a cleaner tasting beer :tank:

usually when you get head you loose protein

Thx, even thought the topic went a little off the mark ; )

Looking through my notes a couple of more things stick out....I didn't aerate the first batch much at all before fermentation, the second batch I shook the crap out of; the first batch I didn't stir the priming sugar, the second batch I did. So as my process gets more refined then the brew gets better and conditions a bit quicker. I got a few cold ones in fridge just waiting for tonight!

Happy Easter everyone!

Thx, even thought the topic went a little off the mark ; )

Looking through my notes a couple of more things stick out....I didn't aerate the first batch much at all before fermentation, the second batch I shook the crap out of; the first batch I didn't stir the priming sugar, the second batch I did. So as my process gets more refined then the brew gets better and conditions a bit quicker. I got a few cold ones in fridge just waiting for tonight!

Happy Easter everyone!
^^^This is the most likely cause of the differences in carbonation. Head retention is probably more related to the original wort and possibly your brewing water.

Back