Using Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyc

Reaction score
I've never used oak chips or anything similar in my brews... but I'm interested in trying it out. Anyone got any pointers?

I usually see stouts and strong ales aged in oak. I was thinking about taking my brown ale recipe and applying some oak. Thoughts on "oaking" that style?

I've just had a wonderful beer that was aged for 30 days in Bourbon barrels and am thinking of trying to replicate it with bourbon soaked oak chips.
I seen the method referenced on here before but have not researched it yet.
The beer had a honey colour to it and was smooth though strong.
Any good recipes knocking around that are recommended?

i know it depends on the size of the chips, I went for 1 oz of oak chips thrown directly in the secondary, 3 weeks... oak was quit strong at first but now in bottles for a few weeks and its perfect, i may even add a lil more the next time i do this recipe, some people steam the chips or soak them in alcohol...

Those were useful links... but I'm still wondering what it would be like in a brown ale. I plan to do it regardless.

So, has anyone oaked a brown ale?

I'm also wondering what it would be like in a smaller beer -- around 5.5% I'm thinking I need to be careful about not overpowering what's already there. Any thoughts on that? I guess could always make the beer a bit stronger :)

My next brew is going to be an Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Clone. I plan on soaking the oak chips in bourbon for a while and adding them to the secondary.

Soaking the chips in bourbon goes a long way for flavor. I do it regularly with a stout recipe (throwing the toasted chips and bourbon in the secondary) and it gives it and excellent flavor. I can't imagine it would hurt for ale recipes either...

Last month I had a cask conditioned brown ale at my local brewpub and it was great. I picked up some oak chips the other day and plan on giving it a try myself.

I did an IPA with a oak tea for the priming sugar. It turned out very good. It was a five gallon batch and I just used a hand full of chips.

I use oak cubes from Stavin and find that I have better control over the oak level in the beer. Less surface area touching the beer and they are uniform in size. I've soaked them in Bourbon, Single Malt Scotch and Chardonnay. Right now I'm racking a Beligian Style Tripel onto 2 oz. of Chardonnay soaked oak cubes in the secondary. Haven't decided for how long yet. Probably sample in two weeks.

here is how and what Ive done...
I was at my local hardware store and as I passed the BBQ section I saw a bag of Jack Daniels Oak chips. My mind started ticking,, I have used these chips in several beers now with good results.
how I did it, I brought one pint of water to boil , then add 2 oz of chips. in a safe bowl I microwaved an aditional 1 min. covered with foil and cooled. , I then added this oak tea with chips in the secondary and after a few days Id take a sample to see how it was changing it usualy takes about a week, . the results depending on amount can be from suttle to extreme, I have a porter now that was oaked and after 2 months in keg its fantastic. My Oaked AB has changed over time and also turned out great.
This is how I was told to use oak, It worked and I stuck with it less(1 oz.) is safe 2oz is my norm and 3 really brings it out. It will also depend on style of beer, lighter of course will need less..

How long do you soak the cubes before adding them to the secondary?

It varies really. I've had 2 oz. soaking in Single Malt Scotch since September, I've got 2 oz. in Knob Creek Bourbon and 2 oz. in Chardonnay since November. I keep them in sealed mason jars. The ones I used in my Scotch Ale soaked in The Macallan for about a month. I strain off the liquid and just pitch the cubes.

Back