using multiple different yeasts in one batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExoticMeadMaker

Reaction score
I did a search and got alot of results, but none jumped out as answering my questions for wine or more importantly to me, mead. So i apologize if this question has been answered and/or beaten to death.
Has anyone ever used two or more different types of yeast to produce and exploit benefits specific to each yeast? for example using a one yeast that produces certain flavors and aromas but yet finishes at a low ABV and sweet, then adding EC-1118 when the above mentioned yeast is finished, to get the higher ABV.

Yes, folks have done this from time to time. The results aren't predictable, but it certainly can work. If you pitch both yeast at the same time, one is likely to become dominant. You wouldn't want to pitch a yeast that is killer toxin producing and one that is toxin sensitive at the same time as that would just be wasting the sensitive yeast.

On the other hand, if you pitch one yeast later, the alcohol and effects from the first yeast may really impair/inhibit the later yeast. In that setting a yeast that is good for restarts such as EC-1118, Uvaferm 43, or DV10 is more likely to succeed. However, if the first yeast gets the ABV above 11-12% ABV, getting a second yeast to start becomes increasingly difficult.

Best bet for that would be to brew two batches. For example, if you want to finish with around 5 gallons, split it into 4.5 and .5 gallon batchs. Pitch the sensitive yeast into the 4.5 gallon batch, let it ferment out. Then when it is done, pitch the stronger yeast into the .5 gallon batch, get the yeast up to the abv that the other batch has, then just pitch that into the 4.5 gallon. Just a very large starter basically. Never done it, but should work I do believe

Latest posts

Back