Using Laminate flooring for Keezer Collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGrooveDrums

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just picked up some nice laminate flooring that I found on sale at Lowes and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or ideas about using it for a keezer collar.

It has a nice wood finish on it so I figured it wood look nice as a collar. It's the kind that has padding on the bottom and fits together like a puzzle. I was thinking about sealing two padded sides together for each side so it would be thicker and have an inner and outer finish.

I was concerned about whether it would provide enough insulation. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

1438467417072-1548090511.jpg

1438467450639834232552.jpg

1438467461524-1668147111.jpg

Build a collar out of lumber and glue the laminate to the outside. I think if you tried just using the laminate with some kind of insulation the lid would snap your collar in half the first time you open it.

I agree with turtle. Just get some cheap pine for the collar to be able to support your freezer lid, drill into to hold your tap shanks and use the laminate as the facade of your collar. Depending on where you live, you may want to consider using foam insulation sheet on the inside of hte pine as well.

I agree with both Mouse and Turtle. I have plans to do the same.
Good luck with the build.

Back