Using Idophor on a SIGG bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
This may not be brewing related, but I have a heck of a time keeping my SIGG bottle clean. I can't store water in it for an extended time because it begins to smell like algae after a day or so. I figure with our water being so chloronated it would help keep the water fresh(er). Im assuming the bacteria from my mouth helps deterierate it's quality.

So my question is, will Idophor react with the brass/rubbery plastic lining of the SIGG water bottles, or in a properly mixed concentration will it keep it sparkling clean?

Also, is Idophor no-rinse for beer brewing usages (ie, carboy, bottles tubes, etc)?

Thanks

This may not be brewing related, but I have a heck of a time keeping my SIGG bottle clean. I can't store water in it for an extended time because it begins to smell like algae after a day or so. I figure with our water being so chloronated it would help keep the water fresh(er). Im assuming the bacteria from my mouth helps deterierate it's quality.

So my question is, will Idophor react with the brass/rubbery plastic lining of the SIGG water bottles, or in a properly mixed concentration will it keep it sparkling clean?

Also, is Idophor no-rinse for beer brewing usages (ie, carboy, bottles tubes, etc)?

Thanks

Iodophor is a no rinse sanitizer if you mix it at the right concentration.

Chlorinated water is formulated to prevent what you are suggesting. Algae formation.

What is a SIGG Bottle? Is it a drinking bottle? Water purifier?

Iodophor is a no rinse sanitizer if you mix it at the right concentration.

Chlorinated water is formulated to prevent what you are suggesting. Algae formation.

What is a SIGG Bottle? Is it a drinking bottle? Water purifier?

sigg_water_bottles.jpg

SIGG USA - Eco-Friendly, Reusable Swiss Water Bottles!

They are water bottles. I think they are made of aluminum or brass or something. They have a thin epoxy lining on the inside wall of the bottle though. I was wondering if anyone knew of any materials Idophor wasn't safe for.

OK - SIGG Bottles. Eco-Friendly, Durable and Stylish at GetN'Green

Yes sanitize the sucker or boil the heck of the thing.

You can also put a squirt of dishwasher liquid (for machines) and some warm water and shake it up and let it sit over night then rinse it really good.

The bleach in the soap will help keep the bugs at bay.

I use this method on my metal insulated coffee cups.

sigg_water_bottles.jpg

SIGG USA - Eco-Friendly, Reusable Swiss Water Bottles!

They are water bottles. I think they are made of aluminum or brass or something. They have a thin epoxy lining on the inside wall of the bottle though. I was wondering if anyone knew of any materials Idophor wasn't safe for.

It seems to discolor plastic and make it swell with prolonged exposure. I have seen this on my blow-off hose. I put iodophor in 1/2 gallon bottle with the hose tucked inside. The bottle is fine, but the hose swells a bit and changes to a white color.

It seems to discolor plastic and make it swell with prolonged exposure. I have seen this on my blow-off hose. I put iodophor in 1/2 gallon bottle with the hose tucked inside. The bottle is fine, but the hose swells a bit and changes to a white color.

What about plastic carboys? Will it discolor if mixed to proper concentration and allowed to sanitize for the recommended time, is discoloring immediate or long term and is a problem to have a discolored plastic carboy (aside from inclining me to go glass after a while)?

I generally don't like using dish soap (or drinking our tap water) because I can taste the slight flavors it adds.

What about plastic carboys? Will it discolor if mixed to proper concentration and allowed to sanitize for the recommended time, is discoloring immediate or long term and is a problem to have a discolored plastic carboy (aside from inclining me to go glass after a while)?

I generally don't like using dish soap (or our tap water) because I can taste the slight flavors it adds.

I don't think its problem on PET. The 1/2 gal bottle for my blow-off is not effected by long term exposure to iodophor. Its PET. The discoloration takes days if not weeks. So far I have only seen this happen on siphon hoses. Nothing else. I think you are OK. I have left sanitizer a bucket made of HDPE and its perfectly fine. Even if it gets discolored its not a problem IMO.

Latest posts

Back