using hop pellets in boil/less than two months experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnbwdrgn

Reaction score
I have noticed that when using the hops pellet that the hops tend to float out and stick to the sides of the pot during boiling. I was questioned whether or not the hops should be scraped back down into the boil. Since I am new to home brewing I wasn't sure what would be acceptable. Any advice?

the pot shouldn't be covered while your boiling. you usually want some evaporation, also you want DMS to burn off

I use a bag so I don't have that problem so much, but I would scrape. Also, I brew on the stove top so I have to keep my pot partially covered to get a full 5 gallon boil. I was under the impression that extract has most of the DMS boiled off already?

Oops. Yep I was covering the pot. the water seems to take forever to boil when not covered. Any suggestions on how to get the water to boil faster when not covered? I really hate to feel like I'm wasting energy. :(

Buy a propane burner or boil a smaller volume and adjust your hops schedule, then top off with sanitized water

I use a bag so I don't have that problem so much, but I would scrape. Also, I brew on the stove top so I have to keep my pot partially covered to get a full 5 gallon boil. I was under the impression that extract has most of the DMS boiled off already?

oops! sorry, me no can think good:drunk: i haven't had my coffee yet.

So, so far I've only used malt extracts, in that case is it acceptable to cover the the pot?

Mine wants to steam away 1/2G,so after it's steamed off the bad stuff for a while,I cover it just long enough to get it boiling. Then remove the lid & proceed.

With extract,all that has been done already. That said,when I add half the DME to the boil for hop additions,I do get a small,quick hot break.

I am still noob-fused? Does a mash (conversion of starch) even occur in extract brewing for DMS to be produced?:confused:

The manufacturer performs the mash for you in extract brewing, but yes, the extract is mashed to produce the product you get.

DMS is formed because malt, primarily lightly kilned malts contain a substance called SMM.

SMM is a precursor to DMS. Under heat, SMM will break down into DMS. Since DMS is very volatile, a good rolling open boil will get rid of it.

Chilling quickly to under 140 is another key to keeping DMS levels down. When you take the wort off the boil, it is still hot enough to break SMM down into DMS. The problem is that you are no longer driving the DMS off with a hard boil. That's why I don't even cover my wort while it's chilling!

An extract batch, made with regular extract, probably won't contain a huge amount of SMM that will cause DMS. But there is certainly some. I've had extract brewers complain of DMS when they've covered their pots during the boil.

Interesting thought about the lid. I cover my BK from the time I do the last hop addition/late extract addition,to the ice bath. It's been ok so far. Just never thought about DMS,even in small amounts,hanging around because the lid's been on for 45minutes or so at the point of chill down.

Latest posts

Back