Using Honey in Brewers Best Holiday Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
So for Christmas I got a 5 gallon Brewers Best Holiday Ale extract kit, and was going to brew it tomorrow. When I opened the box it included a pound of corn sugar. I was thinking of switching the corn sugar with honey, and adding it at flameout. I calculated that I would need 18oz of honey to get the equivalent gravity points. I was wondering if it would add any noticeable flavor or if I should just go with the corn sugar? I know I should add it to the secondary to get a more pronounced flavor I just want a very slight honey flavor.

Congratulations on your Christmas present!

I am not a fan of corn sugar and would give it away somehow.

Honey is a great brewing sugar and I have made a few dozen different ales with honey.

For a primary character (like honey ale), you want to add a fairly large amount (2 pounds per 5 gallons) after you have completed your boiling process. The addition of the honey will reduce the temp and stop the boil. Then stir well. If you continue to boil, you will lose the essential esters that make honey so very wonderful.

For a secondary character, add less, but as above don't boil too long.

After all is said, measure your specific gravity so you know where you are.

I do not recommend adding honey as the priming sugar unless you have made many batches. This may increase the ester content, but different honeys seem to have different sugar contents and the bubbles are unpredictable!

Good luck!
Greg

Thank you, I usually make 3 gallon batches but this is my first 5. I wondered if I would need more honey but didn't want to thin out the batch. It's already a high gravity beer. Next time if I enjoy it I'll try honey malt, or adding the honey to the secondary.

Back