Using HLT keggle as fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambrew

Reaction score
Trying to get some thoughts on using my hlt keggle as my fermentor. Always trying to find ways to streamline and make my brewing day easier.

Just started doing 10 gallon batches. (12 into the fermentor). I was wondering about what the downsides to using my hlt keggle might be.

Ive just had 180 degree water in it for around 30 to 45 minutes. That should help with sanitizing it. I could still do my normal star san in addition. It already has a ball valve and thermometer. Seems like it would work. I have a lid for it.

What am I not considering?

You need a lid of some sort and also need to make sure that there isn't any copper/brass in it if you want to use it for fermentation. Then there is always cleaning the fittings and the inability to brew another batch while this one is fermenting.

I ferment in uncut sanke kegs with a carboy cap over the neck.

How are you going to seal the lid? I tried fermenting in a sanke with the top cut off and a lid. Worked great, until this summer when the fruit flies got in there. Lost 30 gallons before I figured out what was going on. Back to 6.5 gal carboys...

How are you going to seal the lid? I tried fermenting in a sanke with the top cut off and a lid. Worked great, until this summer when the fruit flies got in there. Lost 30 gallons before I figured out what was going on. Back to 6.5 gal carboys...

Lots of options...

Boil a gallon a water to steam sanitize. Use a piece of tin foil for a lid. Easy and done. Rack into corny kegs when fermentation slows (7-10 days for ales). There is no need for a tight fitting lid.

As for the copper in the kettle--I have seen a lot nice classic fermenters made purely of copper... A little dissolving tarnish never hurt anyone..haha

As for the copper in the kettle--I have seen a lot nice classic fermenters made purely of copper... A little dissolving tarnish never hurt anyone..haha

Meh, do whatever you like but using copper in the fermenter or afterwards is during a period of lowered pH and the copper will continue to dissolve into solution as fast or faster than the yeast can consume it. Sulfates in the water will bind with the copper producing copper sulfate, a poison.

The Brewing Network.com - :

Latest posts

Back