Using grapefruit or huckleberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHopRanger

Reaction score
Just curious if anybody has used either grapefruit or huckleberries as a flavoring for their beer. And if they have had positive results doing so.

Thanks

Yup. See my recipe in the recipe dropdown near my pitcure, for "Gingembre et Pamplemousse Quatre".

I just sampled the beer again the other night and it's amazing. Been in the bottle for four months and the aroma is this complex mix of ginger, grapefruit, honey and fruity/spicy notes. Munich malt comes though nice. Hugely complex beer.

Used 30 grams of very fresh grapefruit zest. Use only the color part, don't grate into the white (bitter) part. For me, 5 medium sized grapefruit were enough. The grapefruit character really comes through. You can use one of those little graters that are used for nutmeg.

I just brewed an IPA that I plan to give a slight hint of grapefruit flavor to. I plan on using the method where you zest the grapefruit then let the zest soak in vodka during primary fermentation. I am hoping this does work well.

I've used the peel of two grapefruit in a wit. It took an extra week or two for the flavors to meld and a bit of bitterness to mellow (~4 weeks in bottle, 6 weeks after brew) but after that it was great for several months before the grapefruit flavor faded.

However, it made the wit taste like a pale ale. It was not a subtle flavor.

Latest posts

Back