Using fruit purée??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I have a question about using fruit purée in beer. Yes my question is how much of the fruit purée should I use for a 3gal batch??

This may be a stupid question but when measuring fruit purée are you measuring it with a food scale in pounds??

Hello I have a question about using fruit purée in beer. Yes my question is how much of the fruit purée should I use for a 3gal batch??
just adding a point of thought to adding fruit...some are more acidic than others(citrus). or may add an element that may hinder head retention in the final beer(coconut).

absolutely, plus actual fruit additions may come in at different points in time within the brew. I add zest of citrus to the last 10 mins of my boil whereas some folks may wait and add it to the fermenter .

Regarding how to measure lb/gal, I’ve read that purées require less than whole/minimally processed fruit additions, as some water weight has been removed.

Different fruits need different usage rates.

1 lb/gal is a good starting dosage. But some fruits that may be too much (blackberries) and others may be too little (strawberries).

Also if you're blending fruits then it can get even trickier.

+1

Depends on what you're trying to get out of your beer, and with what fruit
It can come out more tart, sweet, etc than expected

As other have mentioned - i would experiment with ratios of puree to beer; in particular with 1 gallon batches.

From your 3 gallon batch, separate them into 3 different 1 gal containers with different doses of the puree you're trying to use, then stick with the ratio you like

I did this a lot when I started brewing. I started with Smashes to isolate flavors I thought I would like with hops, malt and yeast, then i moved onto hops combinations and fruit purees...etc

Back