Using fresh Hallertau hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bueschen

Reaction score
So a friend has a big vine of Hallertau hops that he is donating to my local brewing group and we would like to thank him for his generous donation by brewing his favorite style... Ordinary Bitter.
We have lots of ale yeast and lots of EKG and lots of Fuggles and then some Willamette and some Simco and some Challenger and some Cascade... you get the picture.
Anyone have any thoughts on making a bog standard bitter with Hallertau?
I know it's not the norm but as expats we learn to compromise and make do with what's available.
All the above mentioned hops are pellet and the donated Hallertau will be fresh off the vine and used the same day.
Thoughts?

Lots of bitters use noble hops nowadays and even historically. I prefer my bitters with finer hops to be of the paler varitety. Just check shutupaboutbarclayperkins.com and you'll see a slew of old recipes that use saaz and the like for the bittering, flavour and aroma additions.

Personally, I'd go 100% MO and 100% hallertau. 1.036 SG, 30 IBU with a good dry hop and a good english yeast. In fact, it'll be the same beer I'll be brewing tomorrow, but with Styrian Goldings.

Thanks jfr, I appreciate the tip. We have no idea what the AA% is of the Hallertau so we're a bit worried about using them full boil. Do you think EKG will go ok with Hallertau?

Thanks jfr, I appreciate the tip. We have no idea what the AA% is of the Hallertau so we're a bit worried about using them full boil. Do you think EKG will go ok with Hallertau?

I think it'll be delicious. Just don't dry hop the living daylights out of the beer, a good dry hop to me is about an ounce per five gallons.

Sadly, the beer I was talking about brewing won't pan out since the return hose of my wort chiller got disconnected while I was in the bathroom, so I came back to the kettle overflowing with nasty hose water... I was pissed to say the least. I rebrewed afterward, but with EKG, since I was already mashing the second beer for a comparison.

OK, so we had a pretty successful day.
We brewed 60 litres of a pilsner and 20 litres of an ordinary bitter.
In both batches we used the fresh Hallertau late as an aroma addition.
Both are happily fermenting as we speak!
Here are some pics from brew day.

Image1260.jpg

Image1267.jpg

Image1261.jpg

Image1273.jpg

Image1274.jpg

How did this turn out? I recently consumed an undried hallertauer hop and it was crazy potent compared to undried cascade and some other fresh hops I've consumed. It made me curious about how a wet hop hallertauer beer would taste.

Back