Using enzymes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddo97

Reaction score
I just listened to the Brulosophy podcast about adding enzymes to help with normal and stuck fermentations and found it really interesting. I'm wondering if I can use them to help a sour that's been sitting for a year at 1.020 to help lower the gravity a bit so I can safely bottle. I'm pretty sure I would have to add some yeast as most has probably died. Would adding a fresh pitch of Roeselare blend (what's already in there) with enzyme be able to knock it down?

I just listened to the Brulosophy podcast about adding enzymes to help with normal and stuck fermentations and found it really interesting. I'm wondering if I can use them to help a sour that's been sitting for a year at 1.020 to help lower the gravity a bit so I can safely bottle. I'm pretty sure I would have to add some yeast as most has probably died. Would adding a fresh pitch of Roeselare blend (what's already in there) with enzyme be able to knock it down?
Sounds good to me.

I've used glucoamylase to bring down a sour so I could freely add different Brett cultures at bottling.

Make sure you use one that cleaves 1,6 linkages.

Sounds good to me.

I've used glucoamylase to bring down a sour so I could freely add different Brett cultures at bottling.

Make sure you use one that cleaves 1,6 linkages.

Great--It's a Tart of Darkness clone that tastes great right now other than having high gravity. I would rather not add Brett if possible because I don't want to affect the flavor so it's good to hear I should at least be able to get it to a safe gravity without it.

Found this in a search and have a similar problem. I've got a basic Porter with Omega British Ale I yeast (via 2L starter) with a 1.069 OG and stopped all fermtnation at 1.026. I've been trying to figure out how to get down to 1.013 range FG. I just bought some Glucoamylase powder being delivered via Amazon today. Can I dump the powder right into the fermentor to get things restarted? I am not looking for a Brutt Porter, so is there a way to control it some?

Found this in a search and have a similar problem. I've got a basic Porter with Omega British Ale I yeast (via 2L starter) with a 1.069 OG and stopped all fermtnation at 1.026. I've been trying to figure out how to get down to 1.013 range FG. I just bought some Glucoamylase powder being delivered via Amazon today. Can I dump the powder right into the fermentor to get things restarted? I am not looking for a Brutt Porter, so is there a way to control it some?
I'd put the powder in some clean water to reduce the nucleation sites, if there is any CO2 in suspension you will get a blowout. It also matters how old is the yeast.

I can rehydrate the powder in RO water before adding. The fermentation was not pressurized, so perhaps no eruption? I’ll add it slowly. Any thoughts on how much Glucoamylase to add?

I got the yeast recently from AIH which had an Omega sale. The date on the package said 20 Oct 2020, but I hoped that was the package date. Perhaps not. The starter ‘seemed’ normal in activity, and fermentation started very quickly. I mashed at 153, so I expected more attenuation. But, this is my first time using this yeast.

Last edited:
Even if not under pressure there may be a significant amount of CO2 in suspension. I know in some of the mead threads they talk about gushers when adding staggered nutrients. Also dont forget to re-suspend the yeast after you put in the gluco. Good luck. :mug:

Yes, I'd planned to CO2 rouse the yeast (again). I've done it already a few times, but without any success. Stuff flocculated like a rock. I'll add the Gluco water in slowly for sure.

With water it is less of an issue. If you just throw in the powder whatever C)2 is in there will come out all at once, kinda like a mentos and soda action.

With water it is less of an issue. If you just throw in the powder whatever C)2 is in there will come out all at once, kinda like a mentos and soda action.
^^^THIS^^^

I'm not a mead producer, but I've used liquid amyloglucosidase a number of times on Brut beers and low calorie/carb beers. It works well, but gets there by cleaving limit dextrins to make more sugars available for fermentation. That will affect the body and mouthfeel of the finished mead.

If your high residual gravity is caused by excess fermentable sugars that the yeast hasn't acted on, you could still have the threat of bottle bombs if the yeast later start feeding on them. You might get a false sense of security from a lower gravity after dosing with gluco since the limit dextrins are what is being fermented rather than those you are trying to attack. Just a thought.

As to dry powder gluco, be really careful. Each crystal introduces nucleation sites that can produce a rapid CO2 release (GUSHER!). Proceed with caution, consider rehydration.

Brooo Brother

I am not looking for a Brut Porter, so is there a way to control it some?
Not really. FG will finish around 1.000 assuming fermentation proceeds normally.

If your high residual gravity is caused by excess fermentable sugars that the yeast hasn't acted on, you could still have the threat of bottle bombs if the yeast later start feeding on them. You might get a false sense of security from a lower gravity after dosing with gluco since the limit dextrins are what is being fermented rather than those you are trying to attack. Just a thought.
Glucoamylase doesn't just cleave alpha-1,6 bonds, it also cleaves alpha-1,4 bonds to produce glucose from pretty much any of the starch-derived substrate.

In other words, it turns pretty much all of the sugars and dextrins into easily-fermentable sugars. There's no reason why the yeast would only be able to ferment the products of glucoamylase and leave other fermentable sugar behind.

Cheers

Back