Using emersion chiller for CFC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimgid

Reaction score
I'm researching and prepping to build or buy a CFC and had an idea. Could an immersion chiller be used as the inner copper line of a CFC? My thought was to take a small chiller I have (3/8" x 25' copper) snip the upright pieces of and slide on a high temp hose and fashion fittings I've seen people make with reducers etc. The thought is to save some cash on copper tubing and the trouble of straightening it then wrapping it again. Just use the existing curl. Would it be too hard to slide the hose on?

I think it just might be to difficult to get the hose to slide on... Would be a shame to spend the $$$ to try what you're thinking only to realize it didn't work!

Would it be too hard to slide the hose on?
Been there, and it was an absolutely easy thing, perhaps the easiest out of all I made for my home setup.
In my situation I had a neat stainless coil. Needless to say that straightening it up and then bending back in a coil was totally unthinkable, leave alone impractical.
Just follow my steps:
1 - Get a piece of a PVC pipe or whatever cylindrical you can find that is about 1/2 to 2/3 diameter of your existing coil. It should be long enough for BOTH the hose AND the coil to be slid onto it
2 - Wind the hose onto this cylinder as tight as you can (you will need to fix the ends; zipties work fine - sticky tape doesn't). Wind it starting from one end and make sure you leave another half vacant.
3 - Pay attention to direction in which you wind the hose. It MUST be the same as direction of your coil.
4 - If you have a strong enough blow hair drier you might want to heat up the hose so it gets to "remember" its current shape better. This helps but it is not anything mandatory.
5 - Leave it overnight or better for a couple of days. The hose will sorta get used to its shape.
6 - Slide your chiller coil onto the vacant half of the cylinder.
7 - Silicone spray would help, otherwise soapy water works just as fine.
8 - Release the hose end that is near the coil end, but don't let it unwind freely.
9 - SCREW the coil into the hose. Enjoy the ease of the process - it took me perhaps longer time to type this manual than actually to put my coil into the hose.
10 - Step back, observe your well done job and retire to a pint of beer.

Been there, and it was an absolutely easy thing, perhaps the easiest out of all I made for my home setup.

Nice idea. Might just give it a try since I've got an old chiller laying around. Like the idea of training the hose before sliding it on. And thanks Burn... We are talking about dunking not busting out. Oh fonix.

I'll second that! I too have an old immersion chiller that I would like to improve upon. Awesome, totally awesome ( ;

Latest posts

Back