Using (dried) Hop Cones for Decoration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb445

Reaction score
Hi All - a friend gave me a giant 60oz Pint glass that I don't have much purpose for. I was thinking of making it into a decorative piece and filling it with different grains (like sand art) and/or Hop cones.

I've been looking online and don't like the artificial ones I have found. I've read a few forums about using Hop Bines for decoration, but not the cone flowers. I was thinking about getting some Dried Hops and then spraying the with lacquer/varnish. Does anyone have any experience?

I was given one of these
il_fullxfull.810273980_2duo.jpg

I don't think you need to treat them with anything. I also have hop cones I'm aging for sour beer purposes, in a paper bag in my garage. They last just fine.

Bundles of hop bines with cones intact are a common autumn decoration in southern Germany, they seem pretty durable. You could try floral sprays to fix the green color and prevent fading/browning, I think it works by blocking UV light. I'm growing hops strictly as decoration on our terrace and was thinking about bringing some indoors like you're doing. Be sure to post photos!

That ordament is great.

I like the idea of different grain and/ or hop cones in that 60oz glass. maybe on display in the brew area or on the keggerator. I also like the idea of mixing it up or change it up either with each brew day or every now and then.

If you just want to dump some stuff in it and cover it somehow to try and preserve the contents I'm sure that would work too.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Thanks guys for the ideas and help. I really like how the hops look bright and plump in the ornament. I think I will buy some Cones and test it out. I will post pictures when done!

They'd need to be dry.

I figured you were growing your own and looking for something to do with them.

They'd need to be dry.

I figured you were growing your own and looking for something to do with them.

Thanks. I wish I was growing them. I'm in South Florida and although I think it can be done, I just buy them.

The package of "whole cones" I got was pretty smooshed, not like the cones in that photo.

Can't grow hops in the tropics huh? Bummer.

I've seen tap handles made from old White Labs test tubes filled with hops. Not sure what they've done to preserve the cones.

Bundles of hop bines with cones intact are a common autumn decoration in southern Germany, they seem pretty durable. You could try floral sprays to fix the green color and prevent fading/browning

It's something you see (year-round) in some British pubs as well - but hops are super-susceptible to oxygen, light and warmth, and even from fresh they soon lose their plumpness and green colour and fade to a fawny-brown. Also if you buy them from a homebrew supplier, they will come as a dry "brick" that's been vacuum packed, so you will have lost that lovely plumpness. You might be able to pick out the best cones but there will be a fair bit of wastage and they will always look a bit squished. Ideally you want to get them fresh off the bine.

Personally in your position I would avoid hops if you're going for "pretty". Grains just work much better in this scenario - something like a Guinness simulated with grains looks great, or do a more typical IPA-y type grist, again if you want to be more educational.

Back