Using CounterFlow Chiller for first time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
Ok, I've done some a lot of searching and reading, but I want to ask a few final questions before using my CFC for the first time.

A little background...I had a 50' IC of 1/2" tubing that I converted to a counterflow chiller.

So, first things first...I have yet to clean this bad boy. I was thinking of Heating up about 5 gallons of Oxyclean solution in my Kettle, and running it through the CFC. Then, Heating up about 5 gallons of a Vinegar Solution in the kettle and running that through the CFC. Then, running 5-10 gallons of hot water through the CFC.

Since this was an IC before, I want to make sure the inside of the tubing is clean, thus the Oxyclean and Vinegar.

Ok, next...when I go to actually use this thing, can I fill it with Iodophor solution, and plug the end...releasing it when i start transferring to the fermentor? Does Iodophor have to dry to be safe?

I have tested the CFC, and I can get a siphon going without filling the cfc with anything first, but on brew day, I want to make sure it's sanitized inside first. If Iodophor is no good when wet, I guess I will get some Starsan.

Thanks!!!

Filling it with iodophor or starsan will be fine to sanitize it. It'll help get your siphon going like you said, too.

Of course make sure you collect the sanitizer in a bucket until you see it turn to all wort before directing it into your fermenter. Make sure you measure the temp of your tap water also. If it's over 70F, your wort is going to come out a bit too warm for pitching.

What size hose did you use for the outer jacket on 1/2" copper tubing? 3/4" ID I hope.

Of course make sure you collect the sanitizer in a bucket until you see it turn to all wort before directing it into your fermenter. Make sure you measure the temp of your tap water also. If it's over 70F, your wort is going to come out a bit too warm for pitching.

What size hose did you use for the outer jacket on 1/2" copper tubing? 3/4" ID I hope.
Yep, 3/4" hose for the outer tube.

Ok cool. I just wanted to make sure that using Iodophor was OK. I wasn't sure if it had to fully dry to be safe.

Also, the cleaning procedure seems ok? How much Oxyclean should be used for 5 gallons of water for something like this? And vinegar...would 1 gallon vinegar, 4 gallons water be ok?

Thanks

What is the strength of the vinegar your using?
I recall white store brand vinegar is between 17 and 25 grain in strength.

My friend hauls 6,200 gallons vinegar for canning plants for a living, hauls from 120, 200 to 300 grain depending on what is ordered. 300 is like battery acid and will burn your skin on tender locations inside the arms.
High grain vinagar will also eat into and etch 304 stainless almost as bad as in a steel tank. Great for weed control than Round-UP but 10 times better just have to get over the smell. It will eact cement sidewalks. Free is why I use it.

Back to the question, what is the strength of the vinegar in grains your using, this would alter the water ratio big time.

What is the strength of the vinegar your using?
I recall white store brand vinegar is between 17 and 25 grain in strength.

My friend hauls 6,200 gallons vinegar for canning plants for a living, hauls from 120, 200 to 300 grain depending on what is ordered. 300 is like battery acid and will burn your skin on tender locations inside the arms.
High grain vinagar will also eat into and etch 304 stainless almost as bad as in a steel tank. Great for weed control than Round-UP but 10 times better just have to get over the smell. It will eact cement sidewalks. Free is why I use it.

Back to the question, what is the strength of the vinegar in grains your using, this would alter the water ratio big time.
I have no idea. Shoprite Brand Distilled White Vinegar.

I'd just run the vinegar through straight. Screw a solution. Just buy a big jug of it and recirc with your pump. You may not have a pump, and if so, you could just funnel it in and drain into a bucket. Repeat a few times. You'll get better results with straight vs diluted vinegar.

FWIW, I've heard storing dry is acceptable and prevents starsan from eating your copper. Iodophor I'm not sure about, but I know it loses its efficacy with time.

I'd just run the vinegar through straight. Screw a solution. Just buy a big jug of it and recirc with your pump. You may not have a pump, and if so, you could just funnel it in and drain into a bucket. Repeat a few times. You'll get better results with straight vs diluted vinegar.

FWIW, I've heard storing dry is acceptable and prevents starsan from eating your copper. Iodophor I'm not sure about, but I know it loses its efficacy with time.
Ok, that sounds good. Do I even have to do the oxyclean? I bought this as an IC from MidwestSupplies, and have only run cold tap water through it. So will I be able to just run straight vinegar through a few time and call it clean.

As far as storing...I will store it dry. I was mainly concerned with sanitizing before using...if I could fill it with Iodophor, then when I want to start the siphon, release the Iodophor and allow the wort to flush it out.

I'd probably do the pbw/oxyclean too....at least for the first time. If you have a line cleaning brush too, I'd use thet. I just know my IC has a nasty dark inner coating. After oxyclean, I'd rinse with really hot water, then go to the hot vinegar. Then rinse well, and use iodophor if you want. There's probably not a right way to do it, I'd just go frpm the soapy stuff to the food grade stuff to limit residues.

Why don't you just run boiling hot water through it. Run it through for like 15 minuets that all you need to do. The Oxy clean is over kill and then the vinegar your just asking for cidery brew.

I would just run boiling water through it then run an idophur solution and your good to go.

15 minuets or boiling water kills anything open the pump valve up high so the flow is fast.

Why don't you just run boiling hot water through it. Run it through for like 15 minuets that all you need to do. The Oxy clean is over kill and then the vinegar your just asking for cidery brew.

I would just run boiling water through it then run an idophur solution and your good to go.

15 minuets or boiling water kills anything open the pump valve up high so the flow is fast.
No pump :(

Gooooodddd....I just flushed my radiator a few times today and it totally sucked. Impossible not to spill the stuff no matter what. This discussion about flushing a cfc w/o a pump is totally giving me flashbacks..........

I use oxyclean in my BK after I use my cfc, then rinse with another filling of water, use compressed air to blow it dry. To sanitize it, before use recirc boiling wort through it BEFORE hooking it to cooling water. You want all that copper to get boiling hot before using it.

Back