Using compote or coulis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejays

Reaction score
Looking for some help. I'm looking to do a citra wheat beer (extract).

I was hoping to do a simple blue moon clone, however the LHBS had no orange peel. So I'm now looking to do a passion fruit or cherry wheat. Can I use a compote or coulis for this?

Many thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can get dried orange peel from the grocery store in the spice section. Or just get some fresh oranges and use the zest.

Ah I've been to two supermarkets now. No one has it unfortunately.

what!?! That's crazy... lol. I'd just go with fresh orange zest then if it were me. add it in the last 10-15 minutes in the boil. You can also read about making a concentrated liquid out of vodka and zest and add it to 2ndary or even at bottling/kegging time. I've never done it but I hear it works well.

Yeah, just get some fresh oranges & grate the colored part of the skin only. This is the zest. The white pithy party is really bitter & nasty. 15 minutes from the end of the boil will work with a couple ounces of zest. The colored part has the oils in it you need.

Cheers for the replies guys, but I just bit the bullet and went with a cheery compote with some frozen raspberries. Hoping it'll turn out ok!

Back