Using Coffee Beans/Cold Extracting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourz4life

Reaction score
So first off, I want peoples opinions on using coffee in different stages of the brew. I plan to make a Jamaican me crazy flavor based stout. My thought is to mimic the flavors of Jamaican me crazy using caramel notes, a Kahlua type extract, and vanilla beans. I also wanted to use some of wicked joes Jamaican me crazy's coffee beans, but not sure if I should do it when making the mash, or in a dry hopping manner. I'm also curious if people have had luck with cold extraction of coffee beans and if so what method you used.

For my last Coffee Stout I used Whole Beans added while Cold crashing kept it cold for three days then racked to a serving Keg. I Bottled some in January and entered in this years NHC, got a 36 and made it to the Mini-BOS. the Tasting was in April in Philly and they could still taste the Coffee.

I def want to make the coffee flavor stand out for as long as possible so maybe I should use in both the mash and before bottling.

Both ways work and you will find proponents of all kinds of methods. Test and see what you like. I prefer during Cold crash as it does not contribute any astringency or bitterness, just smooth coffee.

I used a cold brewed addition in a batch of Founders Breakfast stout clone. Used a large mason jar (32oz I believe) filled about halfway with grinds, rest of the way with water. Shook well and let it steep in the fridge for 36hrs. Strained the brew out and had 15oz that I added once the wort was cool. 5gal batch. Came out great, pronounced coffee notes but smooth/not acidic. I'd also be interested to combine cold brew with whole beans added to the primary to make the coffee flavor more complex.

I think I'll do a cold extract, add it to the primary. Then add some whole beans while cold crashing. Maybe even once I get my kegerator I can hook up a randall with whole beans for a shot of coffee if the flavors fade over time.

Back