Using Coffee Beans/Cold Extracting

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sourz4life

Reaction score
So first off, I want peoples opinions on using coffee in different stages of the brew. I plan to make a Jamaican me crazy flavor based stout. My thought is to mimic the flavors of Jamaican me crazy using caramel notes, a Kahlua type extract, and vanilla beans. I also wanted to use some of wicked joes Jamaican me crazy's coffee beans, but not sure if I should do it when making the mash, or in a dry hopping manner. I'm also curious if people have had luck with cold extraction of coffee beans and if so what method you used.

noefite

EOD Hasher
Reaction score
I added my grounds at the last 15 minutes to an oatmeal stout. I loved it.

DemonsRun

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For my last Coffee Stout I used Whole Beans added while Cold crashing kept it cold for three days then racked to a serving Keg. I Bottled some in January and entered in this years NHC, got a 36 and made it to the Mini-BOS. the Tasting was in April in Philly and they could still taste the Coffee.

OP
Sourz4life

Sourz4life

Reaction score
I def want to make the coffee flavor stand out for as long as possible so maybe I should use in both the mash and before bottling.

DemonsRun

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Both ways work and you will find proponents of all kinds of methods. Test and see what you like. I prefer during Cold crash as it does not contribute any astringency or bitterness, just smooth coffee.

d_rock

Reaction score
I used a cold brewed addition in a batch of Founders Breakfast stout clone. Used a large mason jar (32oz I believe) filled about halfway with grinds, rest of the way with water. Shook well and let it steep in the fridge for 36hrs. Strained the brew out and had 15oz that I added once the wort was cool. 5gal batch. Came out great, pronounced coffee notes but smooth/not acidic. I'd also be interested to combine cold brew with whole beans added to the primary to make the coffee flavor more complex.

OP
Sourz4life

Sourz4life

Reaction score
I think I'll do a cold extract, add it to the primary. Then add some whole beans while cold crashing. Maybe even once I get my kegerator I can hook up a randall with whole beans for a shot of coffee if the flavors fade over time.