Using Chrome parts in boil/mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITbrewer229

Reaction score
I've come across a few tutorials on building a "Heat Stick" for brewing. This is essentially a hot water heating element mounted in a chrome-plated drain tube which then attaches to a section of PVC so you can safely handle it.

My question/concern is does anyone know of any dangers or ill side effects from having chrome in direct contact in either the mash or the boil. I see all kinds of home brew parts containing chrome but never in direct contact with the mash or the wort.

Thanks in advance!

Don't know of the effects of chromium in your mash, but most folks heat their mash or wort, (particularly), with the element in direct contact.

Were it me, I'd keep away from the chromium in either.

Don't know of the effects of chromium in your mash, but most folks heat their mash or wort, (particularly), with the element in direct contact.

Were it me, I'd keep away from the chromium in either.

ive never seen anyone use chrome anywhere near beer, you are prolly thinking of stainless steel. all nice an polished up.

Keg couplers, faucets and shanks are commonly made of chromed brass. It does contact the beer and wears away over time.

Chromed brass plumbing pipe is not intended for potable water so I would not use it for beer, myself.

Neat how I did that, huh......without even knowing it!

I was typing a reply, and the forum reply box started wigging out on me!

I watch it for 5 or 6 cycles, and left the site!

Thanks for the input, everyone. I agree that the element would be directly in the boil or mash, but it being designed the way it is, it would be impossible to not have the chrome in contact as well. I'm assuming the chrome drain pipe was used to keep the cost of the project low. My gut told me to lean towards stainless even though this will jack up the price a bit and will have to find all the right threads, nuts, etc. to piece it all together whereas with the drain pipe, it is included by default for cheap.

For everyone's reference, here are a couple of the links I found for this project:
http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

http://www.3d0g.net/brewing/heatstick

Thanks, that is the kind of real-world insight I was looking for. I really like the idea of the heat stick. I just think I need to modify it better to be food-safe. When I figure out the parts list, I'll post some updated plans.

Back