Using Chlorine water to rinse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tog

Reaction score
Hi, brand new to all this. Is it ok to use chlorine tap water to rinse out a fermentation pail?

I would take more time on this but not knowing what was in the malt I opened it and stuck my thumb in by accident, so now I need to brew sooner rather than later. I hope this doesn't destroy the beer.

But yes tonight picking up another pail can someone verify that I can sanitize it and then rinse it out using tap water? or where should I begin to read on proper sanitization? Thanks.

Here is a link to John Palmer's How to Brew. It might be good to have a look through the rest of the website as well for all the basic info.

Generally, you do not rinse after sanitizing, when using a no rinse sanitizer such as starsan. If you do need to rinse, after using bleach for example, you rinse with preboiled water.

I don't know what your second comment means, but odds are you didn't destroy anything.

Read the stickies in the beginner forum and search through some of the other threads for additional questions you might have.

It sounds like you are concerned you ruined your beer by opening and touching your malt extract? I would not be worried. An infection is not going to start in malt extract, it is too concentrated, anything in there will get killed when you boil. Air exposure might start some staling, but you have a few weeks I would think. If it is dry, you are fine.

How to Brew is a great source.
Starsan is my favorite, it is no rinse, and pretty economical.
Iotaphor is also popular.

Rinsing with water (even though it has chlorine) is generally discouraged.

Thank you very much was mostly concerned that I had contaminated the malt and had get on this. Now there is time to learn properly before beginning.

It sounds like you are concerned you ruined your beer by opening and touching your malt extract? I would not be worried. An infection is not going to start in malt extract, it is too concentrated, anything in there will get killed when you boil. Air exposure might start some staling, but you have a few weeks I would think. If it is dry, you are fine.

How to Brew is a great source.
Starsan is my favorite, it is no rinse, and pretty economical.
Iotaphor is also popular.

Rinsing with water (even though it has chlorine) is generally discouraged.

+1

PBW to clean and rinse
Star San to sanitize and DO NOT RINSE IT.

Back