Using C-Brite, proper rinse technique to ensure no ill effects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7ender

Reaction score
Hey guys!
First post here, but iv'e done my research. I'll be brewing my first batch of beer very soon, and just wanted to make sure I get this right. I'll be brewing an extract kit, Brewers Best Russian Imperial stout.

So anyways, the kit I bought comes with C-brite. Yes, I know star san is what everyone will recommend and is better but i'm tight on cash and probably am not going to go out and buy some star san until I use up what came with my kit.

So my question is, I have heard some complaints of C-brite adding chlorine or medicinal tastes to people's beer. As you may know, it is a no rinse sanitizer as long as you let it completely dry before bottling. However, i'm thinking it may be better just to rinse out the bottles/equipment right after sanitizing to ensure I don't get any weird tastes.

So my question is, what is the best method of doing this? I was thinking of just boiling some water, then immediately after soaking in c-brite solution dunking in the water and then letting air dry. I've also seen some people recommend the dish washer on a heat dry setting. What do you guys think, particularly those (if any) that don't use starsan?

Thanks!

The reason people will tell you to buy star san is because C-Brite is not a sanitizer, it is a cleaner. That being said, when I got my first kit it came with a no-rinse agent that I thought was sanitizer, and I used it that way with no issues. I have since bought StarSan to actually do the sanitizing. As long as you rinse well, you should not have any issues and pre-boiling some rinse water will likely be sufficient

Alright cool, thanks.

But C-Brite actually is a sanitizer, if you google search them it is known that c-brite used to be marketed as a sanitizer but because they did not want to pay some legal fee's they have to call it a cleanser now, even though they did not change the recipe.

It is a chlorine based cleaner sanitizer. Says you can air dry or rinse.

When I used bleach to sanitize, I always rinsed before using, especially bottles.
If I had to do it again, I would rinse before bottling or using my equipment.

Get some Star-San as soon as you can afford it.
It is extremely economical, works great, can be used wet, and a bottle will last and last and last a good long time.

Okay, sorry if this is a noob question but I just want to make sure I do this right.

So i'm setting up my station now, i'm going to have a bucket of c-brite solution, and next to it a bucket of boiled water.

Can I put my hands in/touch the boiled water, or will that contribute to possible infections? I'm wondering cause the easiest thing for me would just be to dunk the bottles/equipment in the sanitizer, then dunk them in the water to rinse them.

If I can't do this, whats the best way to go about do it? Gloves?

Thanks!

Alright cool, thanks.

But C-Brite actually is a sanitizer, if you google search them it is known that c-brite used to be marketed as a sanitizer but because they did not want to pay some legal fee's they have to call it a cleanser now, even though they did not change the recipe.

This. I orignially used C-brite before I switched to starsan. I just soaked my equipment in it then rinsed it off under the sink real quick (NOTE: I adjusted my thermostat to my water so that if can get up to 190) Never any off flavors and no infections.

Iodophor is another option until you can get some StarSan. You should be able to pick up a small bottle for $5. I personally loath chlorine based anything when dealing with my beer. One of the main reason I like StarSan is that it is actually beneficial to yeast once it is deactivated as a sanitizer by the wort. Chlorine on the other hand is nothing but bad for our little friends. If I had the choice of using chlorine or not brewing, I would simply not brew.

You don't and probably shouldn't rinse after using star san, correct?

I fill my vessel with maybe a gallon of water with star san, shake wipe swish do what I need to do and then just empty it and rack the beer or what have you

You don't and probably shouldn't rinse after using star san, correct?
You absolutely should not....And I don't. [Anecdotal evidence to follow]:I harvested a very tiny amount of yeast from a commercial beer. Poured the dregs from the bottles and some weak wort right into the fresh StarSan foam. I now have a HUGE population of yeast after 4 stages...Each one pitched into a vessel with residual StarSan.

Back