Using beer as brew water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[edit]

I thought "wort", and "reiterative" or "reiterated" mashing is a real thing (though "iterative" would actually be a more proper term, imo).
It's one way to achieve high OGs with limited equipment volume.

But "beer" is what was written, and while I have read of folks that have done as much, I don't think it's much of a practice...

Cheers!

Right. I wonder why one would do such a thing, given boiling will drive all the alcohol out of the beer used as brewing liquor, plus will drive off any remaining aromatics...

Cheers

Right. I wonder why one would do such a thing, given boiling will drive all the alcohol out of the beer used as brewing liquor, plus will drive off any remaining aromatics...

Cheers
Imagine boiling beer for an hour then colling it. It would be a different beverage, but have it's own flavor.

Since alcohol evaporates at 170*,keeping the beer(mash liquor) under that would allow the alcohol to desolve stuff in the mash. The question for me is will it desolve the tannins from the husks?

A common practise in commercial breweries is the use of recovered beer. So any beer past it’s sell by date, or returned or not sold or just not quite right would be added to the boil at a low percentage.
That way your “yield” increases in terms of volume and the beer made is just the same.

A common practise in commercial breweries is the use of recovered beer. So any beer past it’s sell by date, or returned or not sold or just not quite right would be added to the boil at a low percentage.
That way your “yield” increases in terms of volume and the beer made is just the same.
That explains a lot.

Back