Using a Mr. Beer for test batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on using a Mr. Beer fermentor to do test batches? With out a air lock does it work for non Mr. Beer beers? Should I drill a hole and put in a spot for a airlock and/or blow off tube?

I use a couple for small batches as do many here, I have not modified them at all, though I plan to come up with a better spigot at somepoint. I do tend to put them in a trash bag that is opened to catch any blow out.

It works fine. The vented cap works just as well as an airlock and is easier to open than a bucket lid. Its easier to clean than a carboy. I'd suggest not using the spigot at all and just rack to a bottling bucket instead.

Agreed with everyone else here. I started out with a Mr Beer my wife gave me for Christmas and after 4 batches moved to 5 gallon all grain brewing. I have Apfelwein going in there now and will use it for test batches or big beers I don't want to tie up 50 bottles for aging.

Latest posts

Back