Using a "mash required" grain as a specialty/steep grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesquar

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a Brewer's Best Falconer's Flight IPA kit that my kids got me as a gift. Hey, I've got an open keg that is saying "Feed me". Even though it comes with instructions I still loaded it into BeerSmith for my records and tracking.

I noticed that one of the specialty grains to be steeped is 6 oz. of Munich 10L. According to the malts chart it is labeled as "mash required". Just curious as to what and how much it will impart into the recipe. I'm assuming an SRM (albeit 10) add, but will a 30 minute steep time be enough for the malty flavor shown in the chart? Will there be any fermentables contribution?

Munich does need to be mashed. The great thing about it, though, is that it has enough diastatic power to convert itself, so steeping it in a little bit of water (1/2 gallon or so) in the 150-160 range for 30 minutes should allow it to convert, and if you can do 45-60 minutes then you'll be in even better shape. It's such a small amount that it isn't going to add much to your gravity, mostly you just are getting the color and flavor contribution from it.

If you can make it through this recipe (you can, piece of cake), you can do partial mash - that's what this is, in effect.

I think you'll be fine not mashing the munich since it's only 6 oz. You'll still get the flavor and color, you just won't get anything fermentable out of it. And you'll get a little bit of starch but I don't see 6 oz being a big deal.

I guess the recipe is what it is, but I don't really see 6 oz of Munich contributing all that much. It won't hurt though.

EDIT: That's true, you could do a partial mash with it. But I don't know if I would bother with such a small amount.

Latest posts

Back