Using a fining agent to help clear cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBEER

Reaction score
The cider I started a couple of weeks ago has finished fermenting now and I have been cold crashing for a couple of days. It looks pretty clear now. Another day or so should do the trick. But I would like to backsweeten a little. I do not have a keg system nor do I have enough room in the fridge to keep all of the cider cold to hold off fermentation. I was wondering has anyone used a product like Iso kleer to help settle out more of the yeast? I was thinking that since it contains sulphites can I backsweeten with juice without getting more fermentation?

Yeah no matter how much you fine or cold crash there will still be yeast suspended. You will need to use potassium sorbate like doggage said to inhibit the yeast. If you want it sparkling then you are out of luck unless you use an non fermentable like lactose or maltodextrin. Then you might change the mouthfeel a little bit.

I don't think you will have enough sulfites to halt fermentation of newley added juice unless you add more sulfites than what may have naturally occured.

Latest posts

Back