Using a ferm bucket..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
I havent used my "ale Pail" for fermentation in a while.. and when i have used it, i used it to sanitize things..

Do you think I can use it now to ferment in? Its not crazy scratched up inside.. and i will sanitize the bejesus out of it.. any problems with this?

I havent used my "ale Pail" for fermentation in a while.. and when i have used it, i used it to sanitize things..

Do you think I can use it now to ferment in? Its not crazy scratched up inside.. and i will sanitize the bejesus out of it.. any problems with this?

If it does not have scratches and the lid seal is good, theres no reason you couldn't.

Dave Miller speaks of this in his book. If you have ever cleaned it with anything abrasive there are microscopic scratches in the plastic which are homes to microbes. The book recomends only using them for a year or so. I completly stopped using them. If they are discolored by wort permenantly that tells me something is living in there that is not suppose to be.

I think the beer will be fine. I also think that it would probably be better in a glass carboy. Just my opinion.
Reason being............Do you ever keep tea in a plastic pitcher. After several batches of tea using the same pitcher you can taste a different flavor and the tea stains the pitcher. In my opinion it is the same premise.

yeah, i have only used the bucket one other time for beer.. mostly use better bottles.. (just ordered another one tonight with my gift certificate from the BYO label contest)..

Back