Using a Beer Areator - How to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeph00

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
New to brewing. I got this tool from a buddy, as I understand, it is to aerate the wort in the carboy. I have a few questions about this.
1. Is this necessary? The yeast I am using is US-05, dry yeast.
2. If it is, what is the proper way to use it? After pitching the yeast or before?

I've tried to use it once, I got a thick layer of foam on top of my wort and I pitched the yeast onto that. It did not seem to work well. Looking for advice and your thoughts.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_185351080.jpg
    IMG_20210908_185351080.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 8
Never used one of those on beer. I did something akin to that with my early batches of mead to degas and oxygenate.

Best to oxygenate your wort before pitching the yeast in. With a low OG batch, you can get by with using atmospheric O2. Anything else you won't be able to infuse enough O2 (your hard limit is 8ppm) for the yeast to do their best (and be as healthy as possible for the ferment). This is why there's oxygenation kits with sintered stones that connect to O2 bottles available (several different configurations).

Personally, I'd set that item aside and get one of the setups that actually use oxygen tanks to infuse the wort.

Well that settles it then. I won't be using it anymore.
Thanks for the prompt responses!

Back