Using a bazooka screen instead of a false bottom in a stainless mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopbandit

Reaction score
I have been trying to search for the best way to use one of my 16 gallon stainless kettles as a mash tun. I can't quite yet bring myself to spend the near $100 for the needed 15" false bottom. Some people online, and many who use square tuns, suggested using a bazooka screen ($10-$15) in place of the false bottom. I understand that there are some issues with doing so and wanted to explore this.

Basically, I was hoping to look for some experiences with people that use one. I plan to batch sparge, at least initially, so I believe that will help alleviate some of the issues with the screen.

1. For those of you that use one, how is it? Any issues?
2. Are there any major drawbacks?
3. Any tips/tricks when using one?
4. Thoughts on making one with metal mesh hose / tubing?
5. Which one would you recommend?

I am just hoping to get a general consensus before having to spring for the costly false bottom. Thanks!

I have one. It works if you are using it for a filter in your MT.

I have used both SS braid from home depot, and Lhbs bazooka screen.

The ss braid works best, imo. Add some silicone tubing with slots cut on one side and slip it inside the braid. That way you pull liquid from below your bulkhead. The actual bazooka screen left a lot of deadspace in my tun.

I have since abandoned both, and now use a wilserbrewer bag and a cooler.

I would suggest a stainless braid from a water heater supply line, they are large diameter and quite strong.

It's the premium braid option IMO and only around 10 bucks.

I have been trying to search for the best way to use one of my 16 gallon stainless kettles as a mash tun. I can't quite yet bring myself to spend the near $100 for the needed 15" false bottom. Some people online, and many who use square tuns, suggested using a bazooka screen ($10-$15) in place of the false bottom. I understand that there are some issues with doing so and wanted to explore this.

Basically, I was hoping to look for some experiences with people that use one. I plan to batch sparge, at least initially, so I believe that will help alleviate some of the issues with the screen.

1. For those of you that use one, how is it? Any issues?
2. Are there any major drawbacks?
3. Any tips/tricks when using one?
4. Thoughts on making one with metal mesh hose / tubing?
5. Which one would you recommend?

I am just hoping to get a general consensus before having to spring for the costly false bottom. Thanks!
what brand is your 16 gallon kettle?

I have a bayou classic 16 gallon kettle and I bought my false bottom new for $42 from a seller on ebay... I use a bazooka tube under it to catch whatever gets through the false bottom and a finer stainless braided line (supply line mentioned above) inside of the bazooka tube...never a stuck sparge once with this setup. since each layer prevents clogging of the next.

Interesting approach Auggie, I do recall of a poster having problems running both a braid and a F/B. After trying one or the other his issues went away. Seems the flour that was passing the FB would clog the braid without some husks to help lauter. Guess it depends how fine one crushes idk.

what brand is your 16 gallon kettle?

I have a bayou classic 16 gallon kettle and I bought my false bottom new for $42 from a seller on ebay... I use a bazooka tube under it to catch whatever gets through the false bottom and a finer stainless braided line (supply line mentioned above) inside of the bazooka tube...never a stuck sparge once with this setup. since each layer prevents clogging of the next.

Oh nice! I think I have the same kettle as you (Bayou Classic 16 gallon). What diameter is your false bottom? I'll give eBay a look, too.

You can easily make a copper manifold for your BK. No welding required. It won't collapse as bazookas can & it's easily cleaned & effective.

I have one of these domed false bottoms from RiteBrew.
http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/840836.htm

They dome shape allows the bottom to be used in pots wider than the false bottom is.

Cool, yeah I was looking at a 12" false bottom since they seem to be MUCH cheaper than the 15". Are there any downsides or considerations of using a smaller false bottom for a larger pot?

Cool, yeah I was looking at a 12" false bottom since they seem to be MUCH cheaper than the 15". Are there any downsides or considerations of using a smaller false bottom for a larger pot?

I have a smaller one too which I no longer use... theoretically your efficence MIGHT suffer since the draining could be less even through the grainbed.

I use small 24v DC pumps so the triple filtration was the way to go for sure for my setup to prevent any grain from getting sucked into my pump.

Interesting approach Auggie, I do recall of a poster having problems running both a braid and a F/B. After trying one or the other his issues went away. Seems the flour that was passing the FB would clog the braid without some husks to help lauter. Guess it depends how fine one crushes idk.

It works... done over 50 brews this way. some changes to crush along the way too with no ill effects... the main false bottom stops most of it and the 2nd and third filters are really fail safes that catch what falls through. there has never been close to enough to plug anything... but then again I recirculate at a low 2 gallons per minute so...

If you fly sparge I think some of the wort around the edges may not drain, leading to a loss of efficiency. I bet that the actual loss is minimal but I don't have numbers to back that up.

Latest posts

Back