using 2 yeasts in primary fermentation..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HmeBrwed

Reaction score
Good evening guys, I have a question and hope you guys can help... so tomorrow I will be brewing a 5 gallon batch of an ESB(english bitter) andwill be using a Safale S-04 dry ale yeast but I have half a packet of mangrove jacks craft series m03 new castle dark ale yeast and was wondering what if any characteristics a ESB would pick up if I added the 2 to primary fermentation... all 2 cents welcomed here, thanks guys.*

I have no experience blending the two, but if you pitch a full packet of one and half of another, I would assume that the S-04 would dominate the fermentation and therefore the flavor.

Yeah, no experience in pitching 2 at the same time. Just remember that there's going to be more than enough cells to do a good job with one yeast packet. 1.5 yeast packets could result in an overpitch, which MIGHT have negative effects on your brew. That being said, NB recently told me that "recent research shows" it's nearly impossible for a home brewer to overpitch. They told me this when I asked if it was fine, as their directions state, to pitch a whole pack of Safale US-05 into their 3 GALLON BIAB Dead Ringer kit. They instruct to use the same amount of yeast in the 5-gallon extract kit. So, I guess those "ratios of overpitch" would be about the same.

Thanks guys but yes what I meant was substituting half of the Safale s04 with the new castle dark ale to still use the same ratio of yeast (1 packet) my apologies I should have been clearer. My only question would be what characteristics the bitter would pick up from the dark ale yeast. Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back