Using 2 different size tubes with a march 809

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
Got a question for anyone experienced with a March 809 pump. I'm about to install one on my brewing rig, and I see that it is made for 1/2 inch tubing. My cooling coil is a 1/4 inch copper tube. I'm wondering if I should make a new coil with 1/2 inch tube, or if the size reduction will matter much. It would essentially be a 1/2 inch input to a 1/4 inch cooling coil to a 1/2 inch return line.

Another idea could be just sticking with 1/4 inch tubbing from the coil on. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks,

Matt

How long is the coil? The only problem I see is with a long 1/4" coil your pump, being magnetic, may just slip from the back pressure if the coil is to long.

Besides half the surface area per/inch of coil length your also adding a rather large flow restriction on that March pump, it's no 35 psi output pump that can overcome some of the 1/4" tubings internal fluid frictional losses and length. Go to 1/2" if of it were me vs 3/8" if within the budget for faster cooling times. This will also come into play should you expand into larger brewing batches in the future, we all do this. Once built right is cheaper than rebuilt twice. That a 1/25th or 1/12 HP March pump? Head pressure drops and flows rather fast as well the cooling times will increase big time with a weak pumping system. I'm already marked as a bad ass for dumping my brand new March pumps after less than 3 minutes of disappointed flow results with their pumps for my not a normal brewing use. One 1/8 HP Little Giant pump handles my demands plus cheaper also. Nuff said without pissing off March pump owners, been thru one pissing war already.

Thanks for the advice. The pump is 1/25 HP and the existing coil is 20ft. I agree it's probably cheaper to build it right the first time, and I wouldn't mind having a beefier chiller. Besides, my wife is basically allowing me to go all out on this re-design, so now's my chance to upgrade everything. Thanks again.

Matt

Matt; wrap your coils large as you can in diameter if for a keggle or leave a space if for a straight sided pot and longer the better. Allow for 3 or 4 lead free soldered bracing strips to hold a small fixed gap between each coil. Use a stir motor and prop for a faster cooling process. Plan on any future brewing expansion for the chiller as well your pump as every bend, fitting and length of runs all reduce your pumps flows big time. Good to have a wifey that respects your hobby, don't blow it doing it twice she'll be happy with your great results. Being not a cheap hobby does not allow for big mistakes unless money is not a problem, my money tree's on a life support system get my drift?
The longer you look around on this forum the more ideas you can add to your brewing rig so take your time on design. best of success with your build.

Back