Uses less electricity as fermentation chamber - mini fridge or mini freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
I only brew ales, so I want to keep the carboy at the low 60 degrees for whatever beer I am brewing. I am super energy-conscious and am curious whether a freezer or a fridge, either of them using a temp controller, would use less electricity holding that temp? I've got a line on a used minifridge, and also a small upright freezer. Thanks for your input.

Depends on the model. Conventional wisdom would suggest the freezer. Another plus if the freezer is if you want to cold crash in it it would likely get you there quicker.

Freezers tend to be better insulated, so probably the freezer. Trying to keep a large thermal mass at 60* should mean the freezer runs very infrequently for a very small amount of time

The way I see it, the fridge is designed for running at temps closer to ale fermentation than the freezer. Currently, I have a chest freezer for a ferm chamber, and I am thinking about selling it off to buy a fridge. Less lifting, way less moisture buildup.

Although I do use and like my chest freezer as a ferment chamber, one big drawback is fighting humidity and therefore rust and mold. I think the fridge is likely to do a better job with that aspect

Charcoal is a great dehumidifier. Get a large coffee can, poke holes, fill with charcoal, replace charcoal ever so often. You can still use the charcoal in your grill.

Charcoal is a great dehumidifier. Get a large coffee can, poke holes, fill with charcoal, replace charcoal ever so often. You can still use the charcoal in your grill.

This idea intrigues me. Just about time to start storing charcoal anyway, it may as well be useful during storage time

I've plugged my keezer into a killawatt, but not my ferm chamber. Both are year old 7cuft ge chest freezers, and the keezer pulls about $6 a year. I would assume the ferm chamber would be similar or less. I prefer the chest freezer because opening it doesn't let the cold air out like in a stand up freezer or fridge, so theres less to recover and thus it won't run as often. Depending on the age and models of the fridge and freezer in question, there may not be much of a difference in energy use. Essentially theyre both doing the same thing, its just one is doing it more.

I've plugged my keezer into a killawatt, but not my ferm chamber. Both are year old 7cuft ge chest freezers, and the keezer pulls about $6 a year. I would assume the ferm chamber would be similar or less. I prefer the chest freezer because opening it doesn't let the cold air out like in a stand up freezer or fridge, so theres less to recover and thus it won't run as often. Depending on the age and models of the fridge and freezer in question, there may not be much of a difference in energy use. Essentially theyre both doing the same thing, its just one is doing it more.

Wow - thanks for the info. If we're talking about that little energy, I won't sweat it and will buy whatever makes sense otherwise.

Wow - thanks for the info. If we're talking about that little energy, I won't sweat it and will buy whatever makes sense otherwise.

Just keep in mind that older appliances can be energy hogs. Grab yourself a kill-a-watt and keep an eye on it if your not sure. What ever size your dealing with, try to keep it as full as possible to help maintain your temp. The more thermal mass you have the longer temps can be maintained without the compressor working as air temps fluctuate much faster than liquid temps. I keep kegs filled with water in the keezer when its not full, and carboys of water in the ferm chamber.
I should also mention that my freezers are both kept in the basement in wisconsin where the ambient temp is in the 60s. If your keeping it in a garage in texas where its in the high 90s low 100s, its gonna use more juice to keep cool.

I have the best of both worlds, a side x side. The freezer holds 3-5 gal kegs at 33* for lagering and no moisture build up. The fridge side holds 2- 6.5 Big mouth or 1 CFC and stays around 42*- 50* just with the pass thru vent open. I have a heat mat taped to a layer of reflectex and bungee the probe against the fermenter under 2 layers of reflectex. Lagers on the bottom , Ales on top. Best investment I've made.....oh yeah got it for free from a club member. With the freezer set to 33* I didn't even notice an increase in my energy bill.

Well, I can tell you that the 5 cubic foot freezer I just bought had an energy guide on it and it says it costs $26 annually as an estimate. Knowing full well its not going to be used 365 days I'm assuming half that on an annual basis.

According to GE a 4.4 mini fridge uses $32 annually as an estimate.

So there ya go...

Latest posts

Back