Uses for your dumpers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dramirezpa

Reaction score
I have nearly two cases of beer (one was supposed to be a DIPA and mostly just tastes like ****, one was a super simple extract pale ale, and I find it undrinkable due to off flavors).

these aren't good "aging" beers and they have been bottled for many months.

Good uses for beer that just doesn't taste good?

I am not drinking em, and could use the bottles.

Beer brats and beer braised onions, or water your lawn.

I can't imagine the first one would taste good even in cooking....I don't know how it got so bad but it has lots of inky, oxidized, and an off flavor I can't quite ID but seems like it is too much hops in too dark and small of a boil.

The other one mihght actually be ok for cooking, too much diacytel and it just isn't going away. Does that flavor burn off in cooking?

We used a slightly-off (but I'm not drinking it) Amarillo APA in a beer-can chicken last night. Fabulous.

I'll be using it anywhere that calls for juice/beer and maybe even white wine, depending on what the recipe is.

Brent

I can't imagine the first one would taste good even in cooking....I don't know how it got so bad but it has lots of inky, oxidized, and an off flavor I can't quite ID but seems like it is too much hops in too dark and small of a boil.

The other one mihght actually be ok for cooking, too much diacytel and it just isn't going away. Does that flavor burn off in cooking?

I worked with an old bastard of a chef in my time as a line cook. That guy insisted on using good wine to cook with, reasoning that crap in equals crap out. I really can't fault that reasoning.

Slightly off beer can be used in cooking without problems I'm sure, but full out satan's anus ? Not in my house :D Try it with cheap sausages first.

I suspect you can do lots of different things depending on how much effort you want to put into it and what the liquid tastes like to start off with. Is it possible to overcome the bad taste in some way?

Possible salad dressing? (like a vinagrette)

Freeze concentrate and wood age it (intentionqally over oaking it)? for shots?

I worked with an old bastard of a chef in my time as a line cook. That guy insisted on using good wine to cook with, reasoning that crap in equals crap out. I really can't fault that reasoning.

Slightly off beer can be used in cooking without problems I'm sure, but full out satan's anus ? Not in my house :D Try it with cheap sausages first.

Agreed. The cooking process usually concentrates flavors. If you don't like it now, you're sure as hell not gonna like a concentrated version.

Beer being slightly acidic, you could use it for watering evergreens/shrubs. They tend to like acidic water, so you could use your crappy beer as a sort of fertilizer.

We used a slightly-off (but I'm not drinking it) Amarillo APA in a beer-can chicken last night. Fabulous.

Beer can chicken! So good, but is it safe to do on the grill with a glass bottle instead of a can?

Back